First AATV Purchase - 2016 Argo Scout

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: First AATV Purchase - 2016 Argo Scout

Quote Originally Posted by wrench9 View Post
    I would be interested to know if you find a way to quiet it down a bit I too would like to add on a muffler to make it quieter when going into my hunting territory if you find or try something please post it up. Be careful with the rear winch extension and if you are stuck try to pull at an upward angle I think with the winch mounted higher it could bend the rear hitch/frame if you are really stuck and are pulling straight back. I have a XTI with a rear winch but is braced considerably and attached to the rear of the machine which is steel on the XTI. Have you considered an auto chain lubricator they are pricey but it is the BIGGEST pain in the ass lubing the chains I put one on mine and could not be happier especially and as an extra bonus the chains seem to be lasting longer probably from the constant lubrication. Keep us posted I am sure you will be in a few messes before you find out the tricks of the machine and its capabilities.
    My original post has a link to an aftermarket muffler add on unit that is supposed to make it quieter. I'm not sure yet whether it would be worth the trouble to install it because I already have an electric vehicle to use when stealth is needed and it works very well as long as I don't run into any deep water.

My dealer talked me out of the chain lubricator. He said it would constantly drip oil into the pan and they were mostly used by commercial operators. I had to remove the factory grease from my chains after only a few hours because everything that got into the lower pan was sticking to it. I bought a chain lube recommended by a high volume Argo dealer. It foams up like shaving cream and then melts into the chain links. It seems to be a very good product and it was easy to apply to the chains. I got into the unit and had a friend push me while I sprayed the chain links as they stretched out over the sprockets.

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...370_0494116804

The rear winch torque issue is still an unknown at this point. I plan to make sure I use a snatch block and connect back to the lower D ring to distribute some of the pulling force back down to the frame.
    Last edited by Gman757; 01-05-2016 at 09:53 AM.

The pans of an argo are always greasey and oily the small leaves etc that fall into the body get chewed up and become a black sticky mess especially with lots of chain lube. I use a dedicated shop vac and suck out the pan 4 or 5 times a year it never gets real clean but the heavy is out of it usually twice a year I spray it out with degreaser and pressure wash it out. He is dead wrong about the auto oiler I have had several argo's and all I had to hand lubricate this one has the auto oiler there is nothing better and the pan actually seems to be easier to clean out as it is not as thick of a mess the chains are lasting about 2 times as long I put about 3000km /year on my argo winter and summer and as far as I am concerned the auto oiler is well worth the money. It does not drip or leak when the argo is not running. You will see in the future if you need one or not depending on your maintenance intervals and drive lengths between greasing. Good luck and keep us posted with pictures

Quote Originally Posted by wrench9 View Post
    The pans of an argo are always greasey and oily the small leaves etc that fall into the body get chewed up and become a black sticky mess especially with lots of chain lube. I use a dedicated shop vac and suck out the pan 4 or 5 times a year it never gets real clean but the heavy is out of it usually twice a year I spray it out with degreaser and pressure wash it out. He is dead wrong about the auto oiler I have had several argo's and all I had to hand lubricate this one has the auto oiler there is nothing better and the pan actually seems to be easier to clean out as it is not as thick of a mess the chains are lasting about 2 times as long I put about 3000km /year on my argo winter and summer and as far as I am concerned the auto oiler is well worth the money. It does not drip or leak when the argo is not running. You will see in the future if you need one or not depending on your maintenance intervals and drive lengths between greasing. Good luck and keep us posted with pictures
    Thanks for the info on the oil unit. If I had done more research before ordering the Scout I would probably have had it installed when I bought it. As it stands now I doubt that I will try to install it at this point due to the cost of the unit and the install looks like it would be a PITA. I am just using mine for checking my hunting areas for hogs so I will not put anywhere near the time on it that some guys like yourself do. It really wasn't too difficult to lube the chains by putting the unit in neutral and having a friend push me while I sprayed them. All I had to do was buy him a couple of beers and I can buy a lot of beer for the $800 cost of the oil unit.

When I looked at the install instructions I also noticed the oil reservoir bolts onto the brace in the engine compartment where I have already installed an auxiliary electrical panel.

Hey Post some pics with the Hogs and the Argo when you can. That is an awesome set up!

I noticed in one of your pics that you have the side step installed with the 25" tires. My HDi came with the side step but stock tires are the 24". I was told if I upgraded to the 25's my step wouldn't fit. How much clearance is there around the step? Does anyone know if the scout and the hdi have the same wheelbase?

Quote Originally Posted by grease monkey View Post
    Does anyone know if the scout and the hdi have the same wheelbase?
    Argo specs that the 6x6 wheels are 2.3" further apart than on the 8x8s.

I should of clarified.....I have a 750 6x6 hdi

do the scouts over heat like the old models or are they better now? wish the scouts came with the admiral idler chains are annoying and knowing that they have a tranny without chains is making it hard on what model for me and my dad to buy

Quote Originally Posted by curtisbyrne View Post
    do the scouts over heat like the old models or are they better now? wish the scouts came with the admiral idler chains are annoying and knowing that they have a tranny without chains is making it hard on what model for me and my dad to buy
    Just get the Admiral and don't look back! I have the idler chains on my 2016 Scout and the maintenance is pretty easy so once the chains stretch out, the final adjustment should be good for a while.

+ Reply to Thread