First AATV Purchase - 2016 Argo Scout

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: First AATV Purchase - 2016 Argo Scout

First AATV Purchase - 2016 Argo Scout

Hey guys...

I just purchased an Argo Scout and I have no experience with this type of vehicle. I live in FL and I have never even seen one of these. I have to drive 4 hours to pick it up from the nearest dealer.

I bought it for hog hunting. I hunt hogs at night with thermal gear and I normally use a highly modified electric cart to get around the places I hunt quietly. I bought the Argo to use in the swampy lowlands and to have a nimble vehicle to use when searching for hog sign. Hogs usually head for the thick swamps to keep cool and I'm hoping the Scout will get me into these areas. I will also hunt out of it when needed.... I will just have go in early due to the noise and set up before dark.

I chose the 6x6 over the larger 8x8 because it's seems it will better suit my situation. I will trailer it every trip, I hunt alone and don't need to haul any cargo. I decided on an Argo over a standard 4x4 for its amphibious capability.

I ordered it with the skid plate, wheel bearing extensions, motor and brake cooling fans, motor bracket, and 25 inch tires.

My only concern is getting stuck in mud since I won't be running tracks. I am thinking that I should be good if I can install the rear winch mounting bracket. Does anybody know if it can be installed on the Scout?

Rear Receiver Winch | ARGO UTV

I am also interested in making it as quiet as possible so I'm considering some type of add on unit like the The Silent Rider exhaust silencer. Does anybody have any experience with these?

https://www.atvsilencer.com

Here's a short vid of a night hog hunt wth thermal for anyone that might like to like to see what it's all about.

http://youtu.be/ruXv4h5ibW4
    Last edited by Gman757; 11-22-2015 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Add link

Hi Gman, Sounds like real fun to me. The Scout is a very new model,just out. Surely the most decked out 6x6 that Argo ever made. The new folding rear rack has two braces that pin to the receiver hitch opening. the rear hitch pins to the same place. May need a bit of adapting but should be easy. You will no doubt use the front rack. When you get used to driving it you will go through a lot of mud before you need the winch. Please post a video with a hog on each rack. Good luck.

Gman757, welcome to the forum and congratulations on picking up your Scount. That is one well-optioned 6x6 and should work great for what you are wanting to use it for. I would echo what philipatmaxfour said, once you get used to driving it, you will figure out how to go through mud without getting stuck and you shouldn't have to use your winch too much. Have fun and good luck on your hog hunts.

Thanks Phil. I'll take a look at it when I get the unit in a few weeks. One of my concerns was whether extra bracing was needed with the rear winch setup on a Scout.
    Last edited by Gman757; 11-22-2015 at 11:49 PM.

Thanks for the welcome Mike. I figured I might need the winch to get me thru the learning curve having never owned a 6x6. I'm sure I'll get stuck a few times until I figure what the capabilities of the Scout are ..... especially as an inexperienced driver.

I got the Scout about a week ago. Looks like I have a lot to learn with my dealer located 4 hours away. I had to adjust the idler chains after 3 hours. The dealer ordered 2 other Scout units with the standard 24 inch tires and after seeing the 25 inch tires on mine he wished he had ordered them on his.

I installed the rear winch kit this afternoon.

Last edited by Gman757; 12-21-2015 at 01:11 AM.

Beautiful machine!! You will enjoy it :-)

Cracking looking Argo especially on the 25" tyres

It looks so good with the 25" tires. I like the step as well. That is a well-optioned 6x6.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    It looks so good with the 25" tires. I like the step as well. That is a well-optioned 6x6.
    Is it pretty simple to put the winch back on the front and replace the rear rack and brace arms?

+ Reply to Thread