Bearing parts/ life expectancy

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bearing parts/ life expectancy

Bearing parts/ life expectancy

I pulled the left rear wheel because I felt a bit of play in it. The bearing is good, the bearing to axle is good, it the bearing is loose in the housing. I think the stamped steel retainer/ flange might be bent or worn. Maybe bent from a sharp impact. Does the aluminum housing on the outside usually need replacing?

Really all depends on how hard you treat your machine !
    A good Grease will go a long way for sure . also keeping them cleaned.

Quote Originally Posted by wedge View Post
    Really all depends on how hard you treat your machine !
    A good Grease will go a long way for sure . also keeping them cleaned.
    Is some grease better than others?

I had a thought on putting antiseize on the shaft when assembling, when going through the seal a lot of antiseize would come off. Antiseize has metal particles in it, I don't think it should be in contact with a rubber seal.

Also, if a few drops of retaining compound were put on the shaft under the bearings it would never move. The never axles with the set screws could use that.

Also, why hasn't anybody improved on the argo bearing design? It's a light machine and should be able to its whole life on a set of wheel bearings.
    Last edited by Norbert77; 11-24-2015 at 10:40 PM.

Antiseize Won't hurt the seals. It is based on an Aluminum compound.
    As fare as Grease there are A lot of different Ideas of whats better !
    What works for me is Hi Temp Blue grease that has a good water resistance also.
    The big thing is to Purge or Flush out the old with the new when greasing them.

+ Reply to Thread