A true no BS buyer review

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: A true no BS buyer review

I definitely agree with you there, Dan. When the going's bad, it's not even a contest. A tracked amphib smokes everything else. The hours-to-maintenance regimen is what breaks most people. Just something you gotta get used to I guess. After a while it's no biggie. There are far worse things to do in life, that's for sure. It's just to bad these things cost a fortune to buy new. It's the biggest hurdle.

A couple of tips that will help with two of your issues. I would put Adair Track Tuners on the four center axles (turning them in to idlers) and replace the other four axle extensions with one piece extensions (Adair has some for $35US). Once this is done you can lower the tire pressure (quite a bit in the four center tires) which will significantly improve your ride comfort, and you will not have any more issues with studs shearing off.
    I do agree that the machines are expensive, but they are made in Canada with quality components, and the machine needs to be light enough to float with a useable payload. If you look at some of the more custom made aluminum machines with hydrostatic drives, they are too heavy to float, have very little storage space since the hydraulic system takes up so much space and they cost an awful lot more than the Argo.
    I just bought a used HDI with ROPS and rubber tracks from a local business for $11 000, and it is quite a far cry from the old single cylinder machines that I rode in when I was younger.
    They are unique, I won't be selling my ATVs or my sleds, but I am really glad that I have one for getting very large game out of very difficult places.

I agree regarding the Adair Track Tuners. They made a huge difference in the ride and lessens the strain on the drivetrain. Once you get the track tension figured out they work really well. I had tire slippage when the tracks got wet, so I removed the track spacers, which eliminated the slippage and I still have enough sag in the track to prevent premature bearing wear.

Argos definitely do not ride like a 4 wheeler or side by side, which feel like a Cadillac after being in the Argo. But, when the terrain likes to eat 4 wheelers and side by sides for lunch, I cruise on by while being warm, dry, and less frustrated. Running 35 miles into moose camp used to take up to 9 hours on 4 wheelers with trailers. I got tired of winching myself 20 feet just to get stuck again and have to use my buddy's Argo as a winch anchor. I bought an Argo for last season and two Argos with trailers took just over 5 hours because we never got stuck. And we took everything to include the kitchen sink! On the ride out, the Argo didn't care about all the moose meat in the trailers!

I kept the 4 wheeler for the hard pack and rocky terrain, but if there's a hint of swamp, tundra or mud, the Argo is my first choice.

Also,get one of these Dewalt grease guns. Your maintenance will never be the same... http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o00_s00

Right on point, I enjoy atvs and utvs and when it comes to trail riding or messing around in anything other than a swamp, its hard to beat them. But when you need to go into the hard to reach swampy areas, an AATV can't be beat.

Sounds like most of your major issues are comming from the installation of the rubber tracks.You can see by one of the pics how the dog ears on the tracks were biting into the tires. Where the tires measured and matched? Was there a big difference in tire size? If so,were track tuners mentioned? Tire failure, bolts being sheared off, and chains breaking,can all be a result of chain wind up due to improperly sized tires,but the use of track tuners eliminates most of these issues.
    The canvas top will not have any sag if properly installed and adjusted.Oil is easy to change with the use of a fluid pump.No, auto oilers should not be standard equipment,along with the bilge.
    Being more informed as a buyer before dumping 32k,and also as a dealer in this case,instead of targeting ODG as the source of all your problems,might have resulted in most of these issues never happening.
    After my recent trip,being invited to visit ODG, and after meeting with the owners and ceo's,I am very exited for all the new changes they have made, and also for all the cool ideas, and products comming down the pike.

Foxvalley wrapped it up pretty well. There's a lot of innovation coming from the big two AATV companies. The machines have never been as good as they are today. Even so, there will be issues on any new piece of equipment you purchase. Some will be easy to work through, some not. Many problems are the result of human error.

It looks like a handle is pretty much being had on all those problems and I'm looking forward to seeing the machine in question in action.

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Woods View Post

It looks like a handle is pretty much being had on all those problems and I'm looking forward to seeing the machine in question in action.
    http://www.6x6world.com/forums/aatvs...5-750-hdi.html

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

A friend of mine just picked up a 2014 HDI,60 hours, and in the exact configureation,(even down to the heater)with the same problems, including a bent axle(plowing)in the front,a big gash and a small hole in the tub,from the rubber tracks.This thing was breaking chains,and chewing thru the chain tentioner pads.
    Now that it is back together,including a new tub,seems that the chain windup issue was caused by a 2" difference in tire size in the front 2 tires,and now this unit sports brand new track tuners, and runs like a champ.
    Im not going to mention what he paid for it,or should I say "stole" it for,but he did it right with the new tub and tuners,and now has an awesome running rig.

I still cannot believe the bilge pump is not standard, these machines are amphibious and that is their biggest advantage over any other piece of equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by SHOTGUN View Post
    I still cannot believe the bilge pump is not standard, these machines are amphibious and that is their biggest advantage over any other piece of equipment.
    Hey shotgun,
    I thought the same thing for a while untill I actually came close to drowning a couple units by having water come over the top.When this happens,you get gallons and gallons of water inside in a milasecond.Yes, flip the bilge on,but what i find that you need to do at this point is hit high ground and take the plugs out. The bilge does not get all the water out, so you still need to elevate the front to completely drain the unit.If you are crossing a large body of water on a regular basis,I would definately want a bilge,however,as this might be the only way to get water out.

+ Reply to Thread