A true no BS buyer review

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: A true no BS buyer review

A true no BS buyer review

Well I have had the 750 HDI 8x8 for approximately 8 months, and I gotta say I am still on the fence. My current set up has the Argo rubber tracks, Argo heat tires(now), windshield, 2 wipers, full canvas top, box liner, homemade heater, homemade junk box, homemade headache rack, 20" LED light bar, 2 LED pencil beams, 4500 Superwinch (that has never been unwrapped), Adair transport cover.

I have just hit 100 hrs on the machine and I think this could help new buyers and old. This is just my experiences and I cannot comment on how others machines work. I believe I drive responsibly and don't believe I have ever pushed this machine past what is wasn't intended. The price for my unit was $32k All-in which in itself is crazy now looking back. My history for the last 10 yrs has been SxS and quads.

I use this machine for working a trap line (all year), hunting in spring/fall and the occasional river fishing trip/ camping in summer.

The Good:

1. It floats and has been very stable in all my applications (lakes & rivers). I use a elec trolling motor in deep water
    2. I haven't been able to get it stuck (trust me I've tried lots), in holes that sink SxS and quads
    3. fuel efficient
    4. Hauls everything and then some
    5. Climbs anything ( I will chicken out first)
    6. Low impact on sensitive ground as long as you don't turn
    7. The Adair cover, trailers at 120 km/hr no problem
    8. The motor and drive train are not dragging through he mud and stumps which to me can only be a good thing
    9. It has been great on the river ice, even when a break through happened.

The Bad:

1. The stock Argo tires were garbage. Literally delaminated in less than 50 hrs. Argo did step up and replace all of them with heat tires at a cost of $400 to me. I have only run tracks. Argo said they never seen that before. The HEAT seem good so far..
    2. I don't understand the tightness of the tracks. Argo dealer says they are good, I say they are too loose as they hit the bottom of my tub when I hit a bump. I don't get why they can't take out the spacer plate and lower the pressures more if required.
    3. The canvas cab, fits like crap. It is loose in the front, it sags in places. I cannot adjust the front tension as it then prevents the sides and back from fitting.
    4. The windshield is 6" to low on the top. You are constantly bent over and it is a strain if going all day
    5. The wiper is slow and grossly under powered for snow. I moved it and added another to help the work load but it is still brutal
    5. The axle extension bolts sheered right off on 1 tire (2nd DS) and were loose on all other tires. Argo spec is 40 ft/lb and claims that no re-tightening is required unless you remove the studs. As Argo did the tire swap, I need to think that they did not torque these properly.
    6. NONE of these tires will hold a pressure.They constantly need checking(daily). It's annoying especially x 8 and after dealing with a frozen river daily (ice build up)
    7. They are the roughest machine I have ever rode, I used to think it was the older Honda quads, not anymore
    8. The 12v plug and USB plug-in is broke and I swear has never been used.
    9. Why these units don't come STOCK with chain lubrication is beyond me. This could be a cheap factory addition and save so much frustration of having to remove cargo boxes (100 lb +), tubs, pans and plastic for a 2 min job, never mind doing it with the top up and -20 deg.
    10. It is SLOW, brutally slow. Don't ever tell someone you will meet at a certain time, cause you will be late.
    11. Changing oil is an SOB. input special suction tool here
    12. Argo brand accessories are ridiculously priced. (eg. heater, wiper, windshield, alternator etc.) Switches, cables and maintenance parts seem reasonable.

This is my official application to be head of the ARGO R&D department as I believe either there isn't one or the person has never ran an Argo EVER.

You can contact me via the site if you would like to receive a test drive in your own unit, and check my qualifications.

I'd like to hear if I am truly the only one with these issues? Most things are just Extremely annoying, but for 32k it isn't worth the annoyance. I can say so far I am regretting my purchase. I could do up a lot of machine for 32k, even a SxS
    Attached Images
    Last edited by treetop62; 12-08-2015 at 01:33 AM.
    Peace and Solitude of the worlds forests can be crushed by 1 broken part....

thanks for posting.

I know guys from Argo/Ontario Drive and Gear watch this site and read the posts. If they want to have future business from you and clear this up they'd do what any good business would do and make this right for you and NOT charge you anything, especially after you spent that kind of money. Word of mouth is one of the most effective methods of advertising and news travels fast in our AATV community, so hopefully Argo will do the right thing here and address these issues.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

argos are expensive when purchased new. Well anything is really. Look at new pickups at the moment..crazy. I agree that certain things are overpriced like tires and accessories. The general operation (correct set up for your conditions) and general maintenance is fairly easy once you get used to it. A common complaint coming from previous ATV owners is that the machines are slow, bumpy, and high-maintenance. True, but when used in bad conditions and for their desired application they are fantastic, faster, and often times smoother. Hang in there, you'll learn tricks on how to make the machine easier to service, operate, and perform. It's normal to have buyer's remorse when you spend 30K+ on an ATV. And, you have every right to expect more when you pay that much. I would be pissed too with those problems. Buzz

My opinion on a few of your comments: I find that there is definitely more maintenance on these machines as a whole and I have come to view them as a piece of equipment and like most equipment there is more regular maintenance. The Argos are definitely slow and rough, but you need to look what they are built for (going through hell), like you said "can't get it stuck" "climbs anything". The tighter the tracks the more wear on the drive components so there is a balance, and as far as I have read all the track styles will slap every once in a while. I think a lot of the Bads listed are in my opinion mostly your dealers fault, in not explaining the characteristics of the machine and not taking care of some warranty issues properly. It seems most all manufactures accessories are over priced, just with AATV's there are very few aftermarket company's that will make them for a better price(Small Market). One thing I will add is that Agro needs every machine from factory to the bilge kit (even for their liability), also every machine should come from factory with the rear body support bracket to prevent body sag(must split the the machine to get it in after). Hope you get it all sorted out and can enjoy your Argo.

Thanks guys for chiming in. I have no issue doing the maintenance, and I knew about it going in. I just believe for 32k some of this stuff is a no brainer to be installed in a factory, predelivery. All Argo's need lube, it doesn't matter where you live so it only makes sense to put this in every unit. Bildge pump? Duh its meant to go on water even if it's never used it should be in. Wipers, cab, heaters, tracks etc. are riding area specific and be so should be and EXTRA. When I pay $1500 for a cab and the section from the windshield to the first bar sags low enough to hit my head, I have tried the adjustments but then the rear cab pieces don't fit. The windshield is built for the vertically challenged. The one that really is biting me is, I am going to need the alternator kit. It's $700 plus shop time (there is no way my hands fit in there). So you're looking at a $1000 bill for a $150 alternator, belt and a bracket? Ludicrous.

I am just stating that for 32k this unit doesn't take me anywhere more special than a done SxS (lot cheaper), and a bit of bridge work wouldn't, except the floating part. I have logged 15k miles in the seat of a SxS so I have been everywhere but swimming with them.

My dealer has been excellent, with trying to help, but their hands get tied from ODG too. The only "BAD" is the tightening of the bolt extensions, on a dealer level.
    Peace and Solitude of the worlds forests can be crushed by 1 broken part....

Treetop62, sorry to hear of your bad experiences, hopefully you clear the fence even though this side is not for everyone's needs or wants.
    You stated you have only run the machine with tracks, does that include the hard packed ground of the summer? The rubber tracks are great but have issues like the side rubbed tires( yes I've seen a bunch of those on different machines) steering drag, speed decrease and using more engine power. Running the machine trackless when there is no snow may surprise you where it will go through mud, how it swims (not suggesting an ocean voyage) and most of all how easily the machine will turn, speed will increase and engine power would be needed less. You could even try it just by removing the tracks and not the spacers. Oh cancel the swim part if you are running Heat tires.

I feel some of your pain as in the windshield and top issue, being 6'2" usually, the windshield is too low for me to comfortably see out of especially with a wiper (which is always in the way) and though the 4" foam in the seat of the newer machines( compared to the Conquests and before) is more comfortable, it raises your eye line. The convertible top rising from the windshield then becomes a head rub zone as you lean down forward to see. Pain! The reason best I can figure is the clearance is for usage with the windshield folded, it is already on the edge of too far out now and anyone who has broke one will agree, so making it comfortable to see out off will have you more disturbed when the windshield is broke from touching a tree or ditch bank. Both have happened to many. The tops fitment issue I won't comment on as every top, body and windshield are slightly different dimensionally. For the over head issue you could try a bow running from windshield to support, or repositioning your snap as tops due stretch.

Perhaps a plan for next spring when your weather breaks if you are handy, you could try this though it will be taxing and decrease your clearance of overhanging debris.
    Order another windshield hinge kit only, remove your convertible top, with help remove your hinge pin and windshield, install the 2 new hinge halves to the existing hinges, make a block of would or plastic about the 4-6 inches tall you think you need and with help pre mark the holes for your new screws/bolts and the install it. Now that the windshield is raised re attach the top to the windshield (now is the time to be certain that the top is taught on the windshield), using the main support and the rear straps make the over driver section taught and install all the panels. The panels will be short of the body, you will probably need to have a filler piece made to lengthen to the overall height of the top ( if you are able to change the front spacer to about 2" the doors should be close to still in contact of the body enough to not need a filler piece all though it will be short at the lowered entrance points). I have always liked to work from the front to the back keeping all snap points taut both f/b and u/d using the screw snaps and the adjusting bars as a guide and stepping back to see that the window line stays parallel to the body line. It will not be the funnest and the spacer(s) will cost but should make your investment well spent.

To see if the extension of the top and windshield would help you try and remove the seat and lay a piece of wood on seat frame and go for a ride, if that makes you happy visually, try the spacer and fillers if needed next spring.

Good luck with the machine.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Quote Originally Posted by treetop62 View Post
    All Argo's need lube, it doesn't matter where you live so it only makes sense to put this in every unit.
    This isn't as obvious as it sounds. One of my playgrounds is the ancient sand dunes known as the sandhills of Nebraska. I have some experience with a lot of equipment in that region. The silty sand will (seemingly magically fly to) cling to anything with oil on it and destroy it. I wouldn't use an auto-oiler as I prefer dry lube (ChainSaver).

I have owned Argos for 30+ years I went through the same thing as you I had a avenger (06) I ran tracks a lot every year it was bearings and axles breaking at the flange etc etc. I used my machine hard but not rough or abusive the lubricating of chains greasing etc was always done almost weekly. In 13 I bought a XTI with auto lube it was second hand but only had 126 km on it. It is night and day axles are huge and oil bathed it has auto lube top fits good trans is better you do not have to worry about chain wind up on the plastic sliders due to design of tensioner I cannot complain. I had one issue with the output pressed on couplings on the trans output shaft getting loose. ODG upgraded these to the 15 specs at no charge although we talked about it for a bit they came through even though it was out of warranty. I currently have over 4000km on the machine and have had no other problems I did not cause myself. I am on my second set of chains on the front two axles as these chains are short and a little stretch they become quite loose I run the 20" tracks and use them for almost 6 months of the year. I think your dealer should have pushed you towards the XTI it is a machine with a commercial running gear but still recreational useable, they are a real workhourse in your case it would suit your bill perfectly if you are alone on your trapline and depend on it. One thing I would strongly suggest is keeping extra main links and a cut up set of vice grips to reattach the chains I have 2 shorter pieces of chain for spares that I can put together and make any chain on the machine with the proper # of links without cutting one up in the woods in case one breaks. This has happened to me when I had the tires too hard and the snow got between the tires and tracks the tire could not compress and the power of the machine snapped the #60 chain like a piece of thread I have learned not to put too much press in the tires and this has not happened since

I hear your goods and bad's, but here's the facts, over rough impossible terrain I will leave a dozen lifted $25,000.00 side by sides spinning their out laws in the mud and greeting me at our destination hours behind me. My clean up and maintenance takes about 1/5 the time I spent on my quad. Slow???? Depends on the terrain. Give me a very bad mud trail (Mud Nationals) and all the the lifted quads and side by sides look like the slow machines to me. Maintenance?? If you want to see maintenance run a lifted quad behind an Argo for an hour on a mud trail and you are going to find out what maintenance is. The rough ride? I can live with it and under the right trail conditions an 8x8 with tracks is smoother then a lifted machine with outlaws and at the end of the day I will be relaxed and the quad driver will be ready for a trip to the Chiropractor.

+ Reply to Thread