Break Pad Grabbing

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Break Pad Grabbing

Break Pad Grabbing

Hi I have a 93 6x6 Vanguard, rebuilt about 100 hrs. ago. After about 5 minutes od driving I cant ease on the left break, it grabs, making it harder to control. I've taken the mechanical brake apart and cant see anything wrong.

Has this issue been ongoing since the rebuild or shortly there after or just something that poped up? I had the same issue with my conquest when I bought it. The prevous owner had done a maintenance and oiled the idler chains. some of the excess oil had migrated to the brake discs. I had to give allot of brake forse to turn in either direction. After testing the machine out for about 10 minutes the brakes would just slide through and then suddenly lock up or grab. The discs and pads were glazed with a sticky residue. i removed the pads, calipers and discs and cleaned with brake clean. I then sanded the discs and pads with a 120 grit. (do not use brake clean after sanding) all was good after that.
    Hope this helps

Dave

Thanks for the reply. It has only been an issue in about the last 10 hours or so. I've have cleaned the rotors, but now I will remove the pads and clean them.

How did you make out?

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Took it all apart and cleaned with break cleaner. Sanded the pads slightly. I is a bit better, but not as smooth engaging as the other side.

Pads being adjusted evenly makes a difference. Is it possible the pads got reversed and are sitting slightly cocked (previous wear from slightly off mounting point, pads thick on top and wore on bottom or vice versa, etc..)?

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

+ Reply to Thread