New 6x6 question/advise

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: New 6x6 question/advise

I think the base 8x8 frontier is only about a $1000 more than the 6x6 XTI, is the base 8x8 that much more machine than the 6x6?Are the 8x8's as durable even though there are ore things to go wrong? I take it the base 8x8 frontier has enough power for tracks.I'm still leaning for the 6x6 as I like the maneuverability , will the 8x8 stomp the 6x6 in hill climbing and mud and extreme terrain?
    thanks

Yes an 8*8 has more parts which means more care and love needed to keep it running. But don't let that foll you. Yes a 6 is more maneuverable than an 8 but an 8 has more cargo room and load capacity 6 passengers instead of 4. The 8 has longer wheel base for smoother ride and better in mud and up hils and is more stable. That's my opinion, I am sure there are many different opinions out there but there you have it !!

Quote Originally Posted by grit View Post
    ..., is the base 8x8 that much more machine than the 6x6?...
    For me, given the use you describe, I would only be happy with an 8x8 because the longer wheelbase lets me climb/descend slopes that quads will end-over and has more track surface area (float) in the snow.

Nice video.

The 8x8 would elinminate the need to pull trailers allot of the time. When I pull a trailer behind my 8x8, I prefer to have some weight loaded in the back for extra traction. Keep in mind I have the 18" plastic tracks which lack traction in the first place. I enjoy the ride comfort of the 8x8.

I have owned two 6x6's (MAXIV-27 horse Kawasaki) (Argo HD 6x6-Admiral Transmission and 23 Horse Briggs) and two 8x8's (Argo HDI 31 horse Kohler engine) and (Argo 750 Frontier EFI 8x8). All my machines ran Adair tracks. A 6x6 has fewer axles to drive and always feels more powerful and has a better top end. My Argo HD would top out over 20 MPH with Adair tracks and always felt like it had more then enough power. My 8x8 HDI topped out about 19 mph with Adair Tracks and also felt powerful but took a lot longer to get to speed then my 6x6. My Frontier 8x8 has the low 3.3 transmission and tops out about 15 mph with Adair tracks and like the HDI takes a little time to get to top speed. My 6x6 Argo would go anywhere my 8x8's will go without issues.

The 8x8 gets a smoother ride but it doesn't have the power or top speed of a 6x6. The 8x8 is more stable going up and down hills but my 6x6 would climb any thing I dared to try. I liked the 6x6 because I could turn it around in mud lanes and the 8x8's are so long that once you start down a mud lane you are pretty much committed.

You can drive the 8x8's at a good clip going down the trails and still have a pretty good ride as long as you watch for dips and ruts.

Every machine I owned, had certain advantages and disadvantages over the other. I like the 6x6 for sport riding, if your main concern is hunting and carrying a load you might want to consider the 8x8 Frontier EFI with The LOW 3.3 transmission. As far as power with tracks, all the 8x8's have plenty of power just don't expect them to stay with a 6x6 and if you buy the old style transmission know in advance that it takes a lot of power to turn the 8x8.

Just to give you some ideas I have added two videos-Randy and I with Argo HDI's

2nd Several clips of Lee, Mudbug and I at several different mud parks with Argo 6x6's

Last edited by mightymaxIV; 01-22-2016 at 08:39 PM.

best argo videos with tracks I have ever seen.

Do you need the 3.3 gearing in a 6x6 with tracks ?
    Last edited by radar; 02-13-2017 at 10:17 PM.

The 3.3 is a good choice for tracks,more low end torque. Here is a pic of a 2017 scout S with the 3.3 tranny, 23hp kohler,hood fan,LED lights, brake tail lights, and pro series tracks with both winter kits. The scout ST would be the ultimate with the admiral,but getting close to 8x8 pricing.

+ Reply to Thread