New 6x6 question/advise

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New 6x6 question/advise

New 6x6 question/advise

I'm looking at a new Arno frontier and also 6x6 scout . Had atvs and sxs for years but am wanting to get away from where they can get. I'm not concerned with speed so the Argo should be good. Is front and rear bearing extensions something that should be added? And how capable are the 6x6 with tracks in snow ? I want to use the machine for exploring in mountains and towing a trailer and hunting , and also want to use it for ice fishing and still getting I the back country in winter. We get 3-4'if snow at the most in winter . Lastly how are the new 6x6 for reliability if maintained properly as I can be many hours into the mountains with just 1 machine ... And sat phone of course . Thanks

the new scouts are great machines. the 23hp kohler command pro engines i heard are great to and lots of power for a six by six. it comes with the following.Front Hood Rack
    • Rear Two Position Rack
    • Bilge Pump Kit
    • Brushguard
    • Dual Entry Steps
    • Front and Rear Bearing Extensions
    • High Powered Fog Lights
    • Skid Plate
    • USB / 12 Volt Outlet
    • Upgraded Seats and Trim
    • Warn Provantage 3500 Cable Winch
    • Custom Desert Tan Paint / Infinity Camo Laminate
    and on the other hand the frontier is more affordable but with less goodies. comes with no bearing extensions,skid plate,brake fan all that stuff is optional. on an argo the things that are a must is front rear bearing extensions (for running tracks) skidplate deffinatley brake cooling fan. you can also get winshield and convertible top which make it nice and warm for winter but its up to you on how much you want to spend on an argo.p.s never cheap out on an argo you will regret it when your miles in the woods with bronken axle etc.

A big difference between the scout and the 6x6 hdi is the admiral transmission. Just a little something to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by radar View Post
    A big difference between the scout and the 6x6 hdi is the admiral transmission. Just a little something to think about.
    Good point radar. The difference in price, if you can find two directly comparable models, between the Admiral and older style trannys is about $1000. To avoid confusing people we should be clear that 6 wheel Frontiers with the standard trans. do not have "brake cooling fans" like all older machines did. However when Argo first offered the Admiral trans. they did have overheating problems in hot climates. The solution seemed to be a hood scoop on all machines and an optional fan mounted horizontally under the hood scoop for people with the Admiral trans. in hot climates. Here in southern Ontario most people like the hood fan on the hottest summer days. I agree that rear wheel axle extensions and skid plates are must have options on the Scout.

The brake fans are available for the Frontiers, even the earlier ones, both 6x6 and 8x8 both carb. and efi open diff. trans..

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

so given the choice the 6x6 XDI would be preferable over the 6x6 scout?
    Does anyone have experience with the 6x6 in snow with tracks?

Quote Originally Posted by ARGOJIM View Post
    The brake fans are available for the Frontiers, even the earlier ones, both 6x6 and 8x8 both carb. and efi open diff. trans..
    Thanks Jim, I guess I just haven't seen a 6 wheel Frontier that had the brake fans. I presumed they must not be needed because of the slotted brake disc.

The 2008 frontier 8x8 owned by a friend of mine has the brake cooling fan. He did not add it as an option. He is not sure if it came standard or if the dealer up here ads it on to all his frontiers but he sure is glad the fan is on there. The parts manual for that machine has the cooling fan and duct work listed. His factory options were the rear bearing extensions, skid plate, axle extensions, and rubber tracks.

Pertaining to tracks and winter performance this video speaks louder then words: I would never go back into really bad winter conditions without another Argo with me. Transmissions and engine are a personal preference, I have owned a 6x6 HD with the Admiral transmission and currently own a tracked 8x8 Frontier EFI with the old style transmission-If it were my choice I would buy the 6x6 HDI with the Admiral transmission.

Pertaining to 6x6 snow performance, as long as the machine is properly set up with winter tracks your machine should be able to get back into country where other hunters wish they could be.

This link will give you some ideas about different track designs:

Adair 14.5" Pro Series Tracks | Adair Argo Sales - We Ship Worldwide!
    Last edited by mightymaxIV; 01-18-2016 at 04:40 AM.

2016 frontier efi 18hp..jpg2016 frontier 18 hp. efi.jpgHere is a 2016 frontier efi 18hp all set up to handle just about anything you can throw at it.
    I also think that the optional skid plate and front and rear bearing extentions should be considered on all units, along with axle weed guards, and winch and brushguard.Also a hood fan on all air cooled units.
    The most important thing, however, if you don't want to get stuck, is the right set of tracks for the conditions that you will be facing, especially on a 6x6 that has a tendency to get high centered a little more than its big brother, the 8x8.
    I am a huge fan of the admiral tranny,and have tons of hours behind them in an 8x8,but I am a little hesitant in a 6x6 just for the extra cost factor, even the 23hp. option for an extra grand is getting the 6x6 close to the price of an 8x8 frontier....something to consider.
    I have little run time on this unit,but I instantly became a huge fan of this setup from the instant I turned the key on the 18hp. kohler efi. Instant starting is huge with the efi,and the throttle response and handleing is awesome!!! We only had about a foot of fresh snow to play in, so I didnt get a good chance to really test it out, but from previous experience on an 18" tracked 6x6, its as bad as it looks!!

+ Reply to Thread