Greasing my Argo

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Greasing my Argo

Greasing my Argo

Headed out to buy a cordless power grease gun today.
    Is there a particular grease that can recommended?
    The "red grease" I buy at my local TSC gets very stiff at cold temps (above freezing) & will boil out of the gun & zerks on my various equipment during the summer months in my shop.
    With the Argo having so many grease zerks & moving parts, I don't want to skimp on the grease.

Also has anyone ran remotes on the Argo or other AATV for easier greasing?
    Stephen, from Northern IN

I use a waterproof marine grade grease on my Max 4. It would seem to me that you may be overgreasing your bearings if grease "boils" out. They just don't get that hot. I live in Florida and I've never seen it happen here. Your zerks could also be bad. They have a little release mechanism in the end that lets grease pass but stops it from flowing back out. I have a small assortment of zerks you can get at any parts house and find I have to change them fairly often. I guess all the trash that hits them bangs them up. I can't explain the gun leaking. I've not tried remotes because I think the hoses would get ripped off too easily. I have put zerks with 90 degree heads on so I can grease them without removing the wheels. Everything in the hull is easy enough to get to. Also I have no idea how an Argo greases so I hope I helped you in some way.

Thanks Dozerlarry, nice pic by the way...D11?

I haven't had grease "boil" out out of the Argo yet, but have come into the garage to get the garden tractor or grab the grease gun & the grease has actually oozed out of varios zerks or my gun while just sitting.
    Only on our hot Indiana summer days though.
    And this is just the "red grease" I get at TSC.

I use the waterproof "green grease". I buy mine from Napa and it works pretty well.. It high so I only use it in the argo, and trailer wheels. For my crawler loader and excavator I use std high pressure red grease. Whatever brand is cheapest, they get greased at every use and dont get wet.
    2015 Argo frontier EFI Camo. 4000lb vortex winch with synthetic rope. 3.3 trans.

~1998 Max IV (SN 14428) on 26" TRU Power tires, winch with synthetic rope, rear seat moved back 5 inches, flip top rear seat with storage underneath, 55 lb thrust trolling motor, #24 marine Battery and a bilge pump just in case.-sold

Had the same issue with the red grease, also use green grease.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Quote Originally Posted by 6x6operator View Post
    Thanks Dozerlarry, nice pic by the way...D11?

I haven't had grease "boil" out out of the Argo yet, but have come into the garage to get the garden tractor or grab the grease gun & the grease has actually oozed out of varios zerks or my gun while just sitting.
    Only on our hot Indiana summer days though.
    And this is just the "red grease" I get at TSC.
    Good eye my man! D11 it is. I just can't help but think the zerks are bad. Whenever I have one leak I change it and that seems to fix the problem. Of course you'll have to be cautious with and electric grease gun. They'll blow a seal in a second. I use a hand squeeze grease gun to grease my bearings instead of a lever type. I usually only give them 1 shot after each ride. Keep us posted on what works for you.

I'll pick up some marine or green grease then....thanks!

My thought on the cordless grease gun, the Argo has a lot of zerks in tight areas where I think pumping a grease gun & holding the fitting over the zerk at the same time might challenge my coordination.
    I'll take it easy with the power grease gun & hit the zerks lightly.

What model of Argo do you own?
    I would stay away from a cordless unit, from experience they are no use for greasing Argo's.

Vanguard II

Just figured I could eliminate the awkward holding the nipple over the zerk, holding the grease gun & pumping the gun at the same time.

Here is the type gun I use. It's a Lincoln and was a little higher than this. You can get a swivel end for it and grease just about anything-anywhere. The electric ones are really high. I gave over $300 for a 24 volt Lincoln but it will do several dozers and a hoe or 2 before recharging so I guess it's what you feel works best for you.

+ Reply to Thread