I Installed a New Secondary Clutch Bushing Today

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I Installed a New Secondary Clutch Bushing Today

I Installed a New Secondary Clutch Bushing Today

Just thought I'd put some notes here for the fellas. A couple weeks ago I decided to do the right thing and spray some WD-40 on my secondary clutch like it says in the manual. Well after 5 minutes of riding that WD-40 cleaned out whatever gunk was holding my secondary clutch bushing together and dissolved it and the moving clutch started bouncing all around like mad so I had to take it back home, order and wait for a new bronze bushing to arrive ( 2 weeks).

Over the next two weeks I mentally and physically prepared myself for what was sure to be an epic battle between me and the argo. As I've found, any time I do anything more major than changing spark plugs on the argo, it turns into a bloody, sweaty, long, gruelling mixed martial arts style battle. Some battles last 8 hours or more, only to go into rematch the next day with no more than a single nights rest and no chance of recovery due to all the alcohol being consumed after the fight.

So anway this morning at 9am the bell rang and I went hard at it. The battle lasted only 5 1/2 hours this time, but it sure was an entertaining fight for any passers by. At one point I was upside down fully stretched out on the floor of the argo with my legs flailing out the side while a had the secondary clutch in a twisting choke hold trying to jam it back onto the input shaft of the transmission, it took at least 20 minutes but I finally got that thing back on at the end. It didn't want to go onto the shaft, just like the primary clutch when I battled it last month.

Anyway the important parts start here. The AMB-2 bushing from argo is an "Oillight" bushing that is sinterred bronze infused with oil. The manual simply states "A circlip holds in the bronze bushing... a new bushing will need to be pressed into place". That's about it. They don't mention that it is not possible to press the old warn out bushing back out of the housing. I had to use a cold chisel and a woodworking chisel driven by a hammer to cut through the bushing lengthwise down into the housing. Then I just sort of gouged out the bushing from the top edge until enough peices broke off that it became loose in the housing and I could push it out. There is a thin lip at the bottom of the aluminum housing, on the end that the belts riding face is on. The bushing presses into that and bottoms on it. Well I broke that all off completely removing the old bushing, but it didn't matter which I'll talk about after. I put some nasty gouges in the housing where the bushing sits removing the old one with the chisels of course. So I filed some of that smooth. Next I heated the clutch housing with a torch, took my bushing out of the freezer and tapped it in with a hammer and a 32mm socket. This is when I noticed that the heat in the housing heated the bushing and all the oil bled out of it and dripped all over the vice. So much for the "Oilight" bushing. Also, to get the bushing pushed into the housing far enough to exposed the groove and install the retaining clip, the bushing had to be pushed until it was EXTENDING about 1/8" out the opposite end of the housing, past the machined aluminum lip that I broke out earlier. This resulted in the clutch going back together with more space between the clutch halves than before, and now my belt rides down into the clutch further, so I don't have as low of a low speed range anymore. I meant to grind this part of the bushing off but I forgot to before I reasembled it, then there was no turning back. Also, the bushing inner diameter was about .006" TOO SMALL for it to go on the clutch shaft. I had to use 80 grit sandpaper wrapped around a spare axle, and spun the clutch half with bushing installed over the sandpaper using a cordless drill until it was the right size, then it finally was able to slide together. That's about it, sorry I took no pics, too much grease blood and sweat dripping from my hands to worry about touching a camera.

Cheers!

Sorry for the trouble. My neighbor has a hydraulic press and it took about 20 mins to press my old bushing out and put the new one in. Nothing like having the right tool for the job.

No need to apologize, it's mostly my lack of true mechanic skill that's at fault.

So did you just press the old bushing straight through? I was going to do that originally till I saw that the bushing bottoms out in the housing and isn't made to press straight through. But I might as well have pressed it through anyway because I broke that part of the housing all out anyway trying to save it.

secondary clutch bushing

Wow! I think that this tale of grief is going to go on for a bit. my sympathies for Coast2coast but this is very educational and I'm not the one feeling the pain. For a change. By the way I lost the master link from my idler chain when i was in the bay of Quinte with no cell phone yesterday.

He lathed down a piece of round stock to fit the lip of the bushing and then used that in the press to press it out (toward the outer part of the clutch disc). There was a split ring retainer that is in the groove on the outside I had to take out too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coast2Coast View Post
    No need to apologize, it's mostly my lack of true mechanic skill that's at fault.

So did you just press the old bushing straight through? I was going to do that originally till I saw that the bushing bottoms out in the housing and isn't made to press straight through. But I might as well have pressed it through anyway because I broke that part of the housing all out anyway trying to save it.

I put the tracks back on today and bombed around for an hour this afternoon, definitely will have to take the secondary back off and grind the excess off that bushing so my clutch will close all the way. Not enough bottom end to turn at minimum speed. Puts an awful jarring on the machine. I was wondering if my machine even has the original clutch in it as the bushing was such a poor fit. Works fine with just tires though. The machine makes an awful screaming noise now when you let off the gas in reverse while backing downhill. Never ends with this old thing.

There are 2 different bushings for the drivens as there are 2 different designed clutches, believe the change was 2003ish. One is held in with a pin on the side and the other is not.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

I installed the AMB-2 spec'd from the dealer themselves, same as this one at argoparts:

Argo Part AMB-2 BUSHING, BRONZE

But the old one I removed from the clutch looks like this one:

5040-3003 BUSHING, SUPER OILITE

So it looks like somebody did change the clutch at some point.

Edit: Upon checking the service manual it appears the bushing spec'd for my machine was the wrong one for the clutch I have. The grey colored one is what's shown in the photos held in by the circular retaining ring as mine was. That explains the poor fitment! Made it work anyway.
    Last edited by Coast2Coast; 04-19-2016 at 01:08 PM.

+ Reply to Thread