2002 Argo Conquest Idler chain

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2002 Argo Conquest Idler chain

2002 Argo Conquest Idler chain

b
    Last edited by Deedeelin1; 06-23-2017 at 09:41 AM.

It sounds like what you are seeing may be one side of the chain (top or bottom) being tight while the other is loose? If so, that is just the normal operation of the chain. As one sprocket starts to turn, it pulls the chain tight on either the top or the bottom, depending on which axle you are looking at and which way it is turning. As the chain gets tight, it turns the sprocket that the chain is connected to. That side of the chain that is pulling will be tight and the other side will be looser. Is that what you were seeing?

Tighten them up, just a tad of free play each side of chain and each side of trans. There are 3 cross bolts, though most loosen 2 rears if front is loose enough, use small upright bolts to adjust evenly and then tighten cross bolts.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

B
    Last edited by Deedeelin1; 06-23-2017 at 09:41 AM.

From Argo owners manual..

7.2.5 IDLER CHAIN
    All ARGO vehicles are equipped with 2 idler chains to transfer
    power from the output shafts of the transmission to the
    drive chains through a series of sprockets. They are located
    on each side of the transmission.
    A loose or improperly adjusted idler chain can result in damage
    to the chain or sprockets. During the new vehicle breakin
    period, check the idler chain adjustment before operating
    the vehicle and after the first 2 hours of operation. After the
    initial break-in period, check the idler chain adjustment every
    50 hours. An indication of loose idler chains is a loud banging
    noise when the vehicle is turned.

To check the idler chain adjustment, push the slack side of
    the chain and measure the amount of chain deflection (Figure
    7-15). Adjust the idler chain tension if deflection is more
    than 3mm (1/8").
    Idler Chain Adjustment
    1. Remove the firewall from the vehicle as detailed in Section
    7.3.1 for the Vanguard and Section 7.4.4 for the Vanguard2,
    Bigfoot, Response and Conquest.
    2. Loosen the 2 left side clamping nuts and 1 front pivot
    shaft nut with a 15/16" sprocket wrench (figure 7-16).
    Loosen the 3/8" hex nut (117-15) securing the adjustment
    support (602-27), just above the transmission, to
    the hood frame assembly. (Refer to Section 6.0 of the
    Parts Manual.)
    3. Turn the vertical adjustment bolts counter-clockwise to
    raise the power pack and tighten the idler chains. The
    idler chains are properly adjusted when the deflection
    measures 3 mm (1/8"), (Figure 7-15).
    4. Tighten the 2 left side clamping nuts and 1 pivot shaft
    nut securely. Tighten the adjustable support fasteners with
    the rubber bumper (126-88) pressed down firmly onto the
    top of the transmission.

I have the argo owners manual in pdf format. I can email it to you if you like. Admin Mike I can email it to you too so we can have it on the website under manuals.

B
    Last edited by Deedeelin1; 06-23-2017 at 09:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Deedeelin1 View Post
    67, Dan I have both books, but it reads Greek to me. When we get to BB you guys can show me if I am looking at something wrong, or right. See you soon
    yup see you soon, bringing argo, still don't have chains for hustler

Question: I've read many places about the 1/8" deflection on the idler chains but nothing is ever mentioned about how much force is used to get the deflection. I've now installed all new chains on the front and would like to start working my way back but would like to finish the adjustments on the idlers before re-installing the calipers and driven clutch. I've read in the manual not to over tighten the idlers as that will also cause damage. Hope I've explained the question well enough. I'm working on my new to me 2001 bigfoot. Thanks for any guidance.

Quote Originally Posted by deer dad View Post
    Question: I've read many places about the 1/8" deflection on the idler chains but nothing is ever mentioned about how much force is used to get the deflection. I've now installed all new chains on the front and would like to start working my way back but would like to finish the adjustments on the idlers before re-installing the calipers and driven clutch. I've read in the manual not to over tighten the idlers as that will also cause damage. Hope I've explained the question well enough. I'm working on my new to me 2001 bigfoot. Thanks for any guidance.
    I have thought the same thing...seems like a very arbitrary adjustment. You could mess with the adjustment for hours if you get too picky. Tighten them, check for some deflection, button it up.

Quote Originally Posted by mowbizz View Post
    I have thought the same thing...seems like a very arbitrary adjustment. You could mess with the adjustment for hours if you get too picky. Tighten them, check for some deflection, button it up.
    Thanks Mowbizz, I loosened them off a bit tonight and tightened everything up. Re-installed the brake calipers - not as bad as I anticipated it might be when I took them off. I'll keep an eye on the idlers for a while until the new chain has done it's initial stretching and keep my eye out for other peoples experience with adjusting for the 1/8 inch. Thanks again for your input.

+ Reply to Thread