Noob with 750 hdi questions

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Noob with 750 hdi questions

Noob with 750 hdi questions

This is my 1st post so bear with me since I'm new to the aatv world. I just purchased a new 2016 750 hdi in camo with the scout racks mounted. It took me a while to choose and I wanna be sure I made the right decision. My hold up was the transmission options. I think I have a good idea on the difference between planetary and Admiral units, but I would still like to hear that I made the right choice. My other option was the Scout in stock form. I really like the looks and the options but it has the planetary. I guess I didnt want to settle and wish I had upgraded after it was too late.

I live in south Louisiana, but not the marsh area. I have all types of terrain on the 5600 acres around me. I will use it for hunting, property management, trail riding with groups of friends and pond fishing (out of it). I think my biggest question is would I have been happy with the Scout or did I make the right choice? I do plan to add Adair tracks soon. Not that I need them...I just want them. I also live only a few miles from a local atv park that is becoming quite famous - Tower Trax. I know it will be put to the test there! (Google or youtube 'Blue Trail Tower Trax').

Also, can somebody please clarify the pros and cons or main differences between the planetary and Admiral trannys? There is VERY limited info out there on them. I would like to hear from people that know.

BTW, if it is allowed and because I know Argo watches this site, Kevin at Golf Cars of Louisiana has been awesome to work with. If you're in Baton Rouge and interested in an Argo look him up!

Thanks,

cdover73

cdover73, welcome to the forum and congratulations on your recent purchase. That is a hell of an ATV! I think you shouldn't second guess your decision. Both transmissions do very well. I personally like the Admiral over the standard transmission based on my very limited exposure to driving two different machines equipped with the Admiral. Regardless of which one you go with, there is a bit of a learning curve and then you figure out the nuances of the transmission and how to best use them to get where you want to go.

What I'm really saying is just go enjoy your machine. You'll be happy with it. If you must dissect the differences now that you already own one, check out some of the historical threads on the forum. There are several detailed posts describing the differences much better than I could repeat it here.

Here are a couple to get you started:

http://www.6x6world.com/forums/argo-...html#post65777
    http://www.6x6world.com/forums/argo-...-benefits.html

Thanks! Yeah I guess it is a little too late to hash over it anymore. The other question I didnt ask was will I regret buying the hdi and wish I had gotten the Scout?! Thats why Im still curious which one people prefer.

I tried a search and there isnt much found on the comparisons unless I am overlooking something or they are hidden in other posts. Doesnt really matter. The money is transferred and since I sortof special ordered mine its nots like I could change my mind now. Im sure I will be happy with it. They are waiting for the racks to come in and then it has to come from Bossier City. He said I should have it by the end of next week if all goes well with shipping and install.

I still have some buyers remorse for paying so much for an atv. But it has its advantages and I know it will serve its purpose. As long as it doesnt break all the time then I wont have to hear it from the wife!!

Thanks for the advice and the links!

Cdover73

Congrats on your new ride, and welcome to the site!
    I have always been a huge fan of the admiral tranny,especially the high torque low speed tranny that works great in my deep swampy erea.I have been "testing" this tranny for almost 4 years now,trying to find the week link,and after a half dozen new HDI demo units under my belt, I have never had an issue with it.There is a little more control with the planetary type,but the benifits of the admiral outweigh the other IMO.
    Did they custom mount scout racks on an HDI,or did you get the"huntmaster?"

One suggestion for you as a new owner, there is more preventative maintenance to the AATV's compared to an ATV. Keep up on your maintenance and your will have a great machine for a very long time.

cdover73.
    You made the right decision! I have owned two machines with the Admiral transmission (6x6 HD and 8x8 HDI) both with Adair tracks. As Fox Fox Valley already stated you have a little more control with the old style transmission however the Admiral is almost bullet proof and it doesn't rob power when you make a turn. The Admiral will send drive to both sides when you make a turn by simply slowing one side down. The great thing about the Admiral is it is simple to drive, just point the machine in the right direction and give it gas and let that high tech transmission do all the work for you.

As far as the Adair tracks are concerned, you will need then for swamp and marsh conditions and once you have them on you will never want to take then off.
    Congratulations on your new machine now get use to the fact that from this point on you will be pulling out everyone with a 4x4 that wants to try to follow you.

Lol! Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like a good group on this board. I take delivery next week and cant wait!

I bought the standard hdi in camo but am having the racks mounted. As an avid deer hunter and empty can provider I figure I would use them enough to justify. I like how the rear rack swings out so you can mount an ice chest and stll have full passenger area. I looked at the Huntmaster and actually considered it but couldnt justify the additional 8k just for lighting, seats and bead locks. It looks like a nice machine though. Like they combined the creature features of the scout with the engine and tranny of the hdi, with a higher ratio for faster speed. I think they call it the Litespeed transmission.

Speaking of speed, why are the Argos so limited to top end speed? Im guessing gear ratios and sprocket size is the reason, and I couldnt imagine anyone would want to go faster with no suspension, but will they ever get there? Using cv axles would allow coil overs be mounted. I think Mudd Ox already has a version like this. Any other reason why speed is limited?

Cdover73

Congrats on the new machine cdover73. The HDI's are great machines and the Admiral is nice once you are used to it, if you are coming from a different style machine to an amphib. for the first time it may be the easiest learning curve and smoothest driving.
    Be aware when first heading into the woods that the Admiral arcs in high range and does not skid so a tight turn course may require a couple trips to figure when to start the turn to end up where you want.
    Most of these machines went faster in their much earlier versions, seems most Argo's have a work factor for them so power seems more important than speed. Without the advent of a 3 speed gearbox, which would be more money on both ends, I don't see it happening. Safety is in issue without suspension along with mostly the skid steering of these vehicles, and seems most people with tracks want a lower geared transmission for power.

I'm waiting to hear real world opinions of the high speed transmission, while it would be nice for those running the country dirt roads or farm roads regular , a guy with 3-5 passengers will be interesting with tracks on ( though not recommended it will happen), or even running it up the mountains with a passenger and gear may have a power and heat issue.
    There are many owners of the old H transmission that love the speed of them but hate the slow ride up the hills and some run low gear with tracks on, extended low gear use is not good with an Admiral. Again waiting.

Good luck with it.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

+ Reply to Thread