ARGO CONQUEST...8x8 with plastic tracks

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: ARGO CONQUEST...8x8 with plastic tracks

Sounds like you spend as much time working on these things as you do riding them.

The best thing you can do is go take a look at it yourself we can give you some notes on what to look for and so on. If you know a lot about Argos you can pick apart the bad things the seller is hiding which a lot of them do( even I do lol) but take a look at it look at key things chain stretch sprocket condition brake rotors and jackshafts which cost a lot also. Don't worry to much about bearings they are easy to replace and not to expensive just make sure they are not all bad or It will add up fast $$. I am also getting new tires soon so I can help you select some tires !

And yes that is very true lots of maintaining if you want it in ship shape!

Quote Originally Posted by curtisbyrne View Post
    The best thing you can do is go take a look at it yourself we can give you some notes on what to look for and so on. If you know a lot about Argos you can pick apart the bad things the seller is hiding which a lot of them do( even I do lol) but take a look at it look at key things chain stretch sprocket condition brake rotors and jackshafts which cost a lot also. Don't worry to much about bearings they are easy to replace and not to expensive just make sure they are not all bad or It will add up fast $$. I am also getting new tires soon so I can help you select some tires !
    I have already seen the ARGO. Seller was stuck on a firm price so I drove home without it.

Now he wants to negotiate. It's really nice aside from dry chains, worn tires, and 3 wheel bearings with slack. I'd say it rates in top 10% condition wise for its age. Real low hours.

If you are comfortable with the machine and have a comfortable price for the machine needing the work you are comfortable doing, time to get him comfortable with the offer.
    Did the owner state anything was done to it? Reason I ask is, recently I put Bearing's in my daughters machine only to find loose bearings on 3 axles with only 60 hours on factory bearings. First I snapped having just rebuilt the machine, after calming, found the set screws loose on the outer bearings for some reason, not much but enough. Not saying that's it, (you can see it) but could be if bearings were replaced recently.

As far as price recently an older version conquest, pre 99, sold twice for over 6800 with tracks locally (too much for me) . but a 99 or newer with good tracks needing a little work 4500.00 is fair, clean and freshly done more for certain ( seen them go for 10000) depending on machine. If it needs new bearings, chains and seals or trans repair, well that's another story.
    All conquests have quirks as do other machines, but they are great machines. I'm still on the fence about HD bearing kits, waiting for the 1000 hour bearing stories

Oh, and a maintained argo should give you 200-400 hours unrepaired riding.
    Last edited by ARGOJIM; 04-28-2016 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Clarification of statement

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

The best rule of thumb that I look at on used units like this, is I add $2,500.00 to the price of the unit,this is about average to what you can expect to stick into it,worst case senario,give or take.So now at 7k,is it worth all the work and down time vs.looking at a newer unit, maybe just a few years old,for a couple k more.

+ Reply to Thread