80's argo 8x8 value

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 80's argo 8x8 value

80's argo 8x8 value

Anyone want to venture an opinion on the value of an 80's Argo 8x8 in decent condition?

Things to look for/out for?

Brent

80s Argo 8x8 value

Quote Originally Posted by Antarctica View Post
    Anyone want to venture an opinion on the value of an 80's Argo 8x8 in decent condition?

Things to look for/out for?

Brent
    An 80s Argo is 30 years old or more. What does decent shape mean? Worn sprockets from running chains dry with no oil means big repairs. taking the axles out means might as well put new axles,bearings and sprockets. You NEED to jack the machine up and shake each wheel. If the bearings are tight and the sprockets are not worn to sharp points and the chains are not dry and stretched till the adjusters are up to their limit.take it for a ride , forward and back. does the tranny stay in gear or jump out of gear.How are the brakes for steering. At that age it was probably a Magnum (Curtis and Kris on this site are working on theirs) it may even be a Responce. Newer liquid cooled 8 wheelers with a Kawasaki engine were a huge improvement until about 11 years years ago ,Argo introduced the Avenger and the Frontier models. I am not saying that a 1986 vintage Chev. or Ford is not worth owning but I would not be willing to name a price on one with just "decent shape". Good luck

Just a little side note for those who are not informed ( and some that are as we all, even me, rifle off adjuster).

The Argo machines pre 1999 did not come with chain "adjusters", they came with chain take up kits which was there basically keep the chains on the sprockets as they wore and were not permanently tensioning the chain but merely taking up ( or pinching ) the slack (together) in an attempt to limit slap.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Send some Pics of the Argo (magnum,conquest,response,) whatever it is

This is all I've got on it right now. Thinking about taking a look at it.

00K0K_h6gNBpIxFC3_600x450.jpg

Ok now we are getting somewhere,what you have here is a HTB 8 wheeler. Somewhere around late or early 70,s what engine does it have? Tecumseh,kohler? They are old have a lot of body flex which eats bearings and usually the engines get bad when they are that old unless it was takin care of, know I never seen one of these in person so I can't say much about it,some people will say magnums are a piece of s&$@ but who am I to say it's a bad machine?

The hood says 75-76 range, fist Tecumseh TB machine. Looks well kept on the outside.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.

Good to know. I will let you know any details I find out. Guesstimate on value given the new info? Let's assume its got a few worn bearings and the chains/sprockets are 50%. It also needs a new starter.

Brent

The value depends on you. I'm not up to being obligated to a value as everyone's would be different.

Just a few things to consider,
    Manual brakes, should be single 50 chain, single cylinder engine with a finicky carb., 1-1/4 bearings and axles, pinned sprockets, roughly 12-15 miles per hour, laid in plywood sub floor, bolted firewall.
    Good machines for their time though would not compare to machines of the last 15 years.

What I'd look for, trans noise, bearings, brakes, sprocket pin holes, straight axles, holes in tub (cracks at muffler also).

The bearings in that machine are different than what is in todays machines.

Great info Argojim - thanks for the follow up. I have asked him to shoot a pic of the motor to me.

+ Reply to Thread