Took delivery 750 hdi camo

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Took delivery 750 hdi camo

Back from overseas but havent had a chance to check the rotor yet. If it turns out to be that is it detrimental to run it that way or should I have it changed? I know they wouloutdnt hesitate to chane it, but im just curious if it would hurt it long term.

Actually im gonna go check it now while I have a chance.

msafi65 - was it visible while u were watching it or just vibrated?

Quote Originally Posted by mightymaxIV View Post
    It sounds to me like your left steering brake is lose, there are several small bolts that use an allen wrench that hold that brake tight, They are hard to see and harder to get to, it sounds like they weren't properly tightened.

Pertaining to the transmission, it's difficult to say, the Admiral makes a lot of strange noises so the experience of the dealer and Argo will have to be the deciding factor there. Try tightening the bolts of the on the rotor and see if this solves your problem.

Those bolts also hold the left driven shaft to the transmission so if they are lose the chains will pop and sound as if they are trying to climb the sprocket.
    Checked these and all the allen's were tight. However, I did find multiple (12) loose bolts throughout the machine. Mostly body to frame braces in the front and some of the shaft bearing bolts. There was no scuffed paint marks on the frame where the bolts had ever been tightened, so they didn't just back out. It's like the factory hand threaded them then forgot to tighten them. I think Argo needs to review their QA/QC procedures...

Quote Originally Posted by msafi65 View Post
    I hare one last year that was noisy in slight turn. Chain slap and slight jerk when soft turn. Was a steering rotor that wasn't machined properly. The steering on the admiral stops the rotor on the opposite side of the turn. To find this I was driving with firewall out and watched rotors when turning. One was not smooth. When remover it measured about .005" thicker in two places where the pads run. Installed new one and it was smooth and quiet.
    My rotors appear to be smooth from visual observation. The clunking is coming from the lower left area of the transmission. You can actually see the front left shaft jerk when it does it. I'm no expert but I think it's internal to the transmission output. If it doesn't get any better I will have them pick it up and inspect it.

I took it out to a local atv club last weekend and it did great! Only had to use the winch one time, but it was my fault for letting it fall into deep ruts made by lifted side by sides. Operator error....lesson learned! They had "holes" that were famous for the park and known to many as "jeep eater", "the bounty hole", and such. I was able to make them all! And it wasn't ever in a bind. I don't abuse my stuff so I was leery at first but after I seen how effortless it went where others had trouble I gained confidence in it.

The steering clunk to the left does have me concerned. I have checked all that I know to check, which doesn't say much, but all I can tell is whatever is happening is being transferred to the output shaft and making it very jerky when turning. I thought about swapping the brake rotors left to right and see if the problem moves to the right, but I don't know if they are reversible. Anyway....that's where I'm at. Let me know if you have any more thoughts on things to try/check before I call the dealer.

Thanks,

Okay, I took it to the shop and it turned out to be exactly what some of you said it would be. One of the brake rotors had a high spot. They replaced it with one off the shelf but it also had a high spot, but not as bad. The mech said he talked to Argo and they know they have a problem with these rotors and have an upgraded rotor that corrects it. They are sending two new rotors to replace with and said I can use it until they come in. The dealer said they will pick it up so I dont have to worry about taking off work during the week. My racks are still on back order but hopefully they will be in and everything can be done in one trip.

I have to say that Argo, like any other machine, may have some problems, but their customer service is solid! It is nice knowing that after spending as much as I did they will be there to help correct any issues. If any Argo reps are reading this, thank you for your service!! I am very pleased with it.

Thanks,

Thanks cdover for the info. I had the exact same problem with my last demo,I figured it was the brake rotor,replaced it,but i still had the same issue,but not quite as bad.Didn't figure a new rotor would have a high spot,or warped,but didn't know what direction to go next.....so this explains a lot!
    I'm sure you will enjoy your new ride,as I have the last few years, riding hard about 5 HDI demo units now,trying to find the weak link.....so far no serious issues,and I am very impressed with the preformance of this model.

entrance steps on HDI

Hi Fox Valley, Do you put entrance steps on most Avengers that you sell? Do you put them just ahead of the second wheel or just behind the second wheel? I'm getting a new HDI and I can't decide. My wife says further forward for her,the dealer says each side could be different?

Quote Originally Posted by philipatmaxfour View Post
    Hi Fox Valley, Do you put entrance steps on most Avengers that you sell? Do you put them just ahead of the second wheel or just behind the second wheel? I'm getting a new HDI and I can't decide. My wife says further forward for her,the dealer says each side could be different?

Congratulations on your new HDI you lucky man.

Quote Originally Posted by philipatmaxfour View Post
    Congrats on your new unit!
    The holes for the entry steps are predrilled into the side of the framerail,so no choice as to where they go,and garrantees the right placement as to not rub on the tires.
    Where I live,we have lots of low swampy land, and deep snow, so most of the units that i sell are tracked, so I don't put many on,in fact, I just took the steps off my scout so I could track it,and those were centered behind the first wheel,being a 6x6.
    One issue with the side steps is you will have 8 more holes in the bottom tub,and if you ever want to track it,those holes need to be sealed good.
    A super simple option would be to just get a step that plugs into your 2" reciever,and access your unit from the back.ODG does have a rear step made for the outfitter that would work,but there are much cheaper options out there. One drawback with the rear entry step, however, is that it does stick out,and could get hung up.
    Also, this isn't a real easy job to do,more than likely the chains will have to be broke on both sides to get the bolts in,good job for the dealer.
    Last edited by Fox Valley Argo Sales; 06-24-2016 at 11:42 AM.

new hdi

Quote Originally Posted by mightymaxIV View Post
    Congratulations on your new HDI you lucky man.
    Thanks Mighty Max and Fox Valley. Fox Valley I will have to wrestle those facts around in my head a little.

Congratulations on the new machine, you've been driving the Avenger since what 2004-2005 ? I remember you had just picked it up around the first Copper Ridge Ride.
    You'll come to enjoy the Admiral for trail riding as it should create a much smoother ride with much less jerk to it.

Good luck

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Thanks Jim, I have no real experience with the Admiral tranny but a lot of the other members of our Argo club have them,and some members are on their second or even third Admiral machine and nobody says they would go back to the regular tranny. But what do they know?haha I am really excited about my new machine even if I have to do most of the house and cooking chores for many months.( unless I can come up with a debilitating injury.) haha I had a max four at all but the last copper ridge rides and just got my new Avenger in time for the last ride there. I would have done well in the water race but I didn't have enough experience to know how to get it to climb out of the water. Our Canada Day ride 2016 will likely be a repeat performance but i,m looking forward to it.

+ Reply to Thread