Alternator on a magnum?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Alternator on a magnum?

No not yet, however I'm considering doing it very soon. My main concern is, Stu stated he used a "marine alternator" that could be spun in either direction. I was looking at a "mini chev, one wire alternator" on eBay that pumps out 35 A which seems about right for a small engine like the Argo house. But it's not a "marine alternator" and truth be told I don't know a hell of a lot about alternators... for instance I don't know how to tell if they are a spin one way only or spin either way etc. So I haven't decided what to do yet.
    "I've yet to encounter a problem that cannot be solved with the right mixture of whiskey and weaponry"
    :ME....

" From my cold dead hands"
    :Charlton Heston...

Quote Originally Posted by Kris W View Post
    No not yet, however I'm considering doing it very soon. My main concern is, Stu stated he used a "marine alternator" that could be spun in either direction. I was looking at a "mini chev, one wire alternator" on eBay that pumps out 35 A which seems about right for a small engine like the Argo house. But it's not a "marine alternator" and truth be told I don't know a hell of a lot about alternators... for instance I don't know how to tell if they are a spin one way only or spin either way etc. So I haven't decided what to do yet.
    That GM can be spun either way, the ONLY difference between CW and CCW is the fan direction under the pulley for cooling. Get the right rotation if you can but don't worry about it at all if you cant. I wouldn't bother ordering one from Ebay though, your making due with the best thing your search turns up...Go to a local alternator shop and tell him what you want and buy a rebuilt for a fraction of the cost.

Here's a link to my alternator upgrade on my max, I used a 37 AMP 10 SI that I paid $80 cdn for locally.

http://www.6x6world.com/forums/engin...-problems.html

I just called Commercial Alternator & Starter on Raleigh Rd Oshawa, they have lots of 10-SI alternators in stock 35-60amp, your choice, $110 each.... The Indian guy in Pickering is a bit cheaper but Commercial is in your neighbourhood
    Last edited by Canadian_Zuk; 01-18-2017 at 12:05 PM.

kris if yours os charging with the stalk there is no need unless your running some extra lights and accessories.... when you trashed your stator you still needed to buy another one right Canadian zuk.... thats what gives spark to the spark plugs?

No, the stator is just the charging system. The motor will run with no magnets as long as there was power in the battery. I just gutted everything under the flywheel and left the external regulator where it was. The alternator now does the job of tue stator

right its the air gap between the coil and the flywheel outside magnet that creates spark

I don't think my charging system is charging the battery because I'm constantly having to charge it with a battery charger that's why I want to put an alternator on it.
    "I've yet to encounter a problem that cannot be solved with the right mixture of whiskey and weaponry"
    :ME....

" From my cold dead hands"
    :Charlton Heston...

you know what i did to fix mine? first check these things...\
    1.make sure all solenoid connections are tight
    2.check the charge wire for any splits or cracks(should be yellow)
    3.check all fuses
    4.make sure regulator connections are all good(remove air cleaner to check the stator wires
    5. check fuse that comes off the regulator(right in front of the engine where all the wires are.. should be black.

so after me doing all this with my magnum and still nothing i took all the old yellow charging wire out and put in new stuff and voila. i also put new connections in that hook up to the regulator. mine were a little rusty and the wires were not malleable they were tough,look in to these tests and let us know. send me some pics of any possible problems you encounter with this.

hey.... did you get around to checking these things out?

here kris,another idea of an alternator on a mid 80s I/C

id love the alternator but the air duct just keeps me wondering and thinking of how i can get an alternator and air duct at the same time but i cant think of a way. any ideas.

+ Reply to Thread