Starting problems on my 99 vanguard

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Starting problems on my 99 vanguard

Starting problems on my 99 vanguard

I am trying to bring my Argo back to life after it died during deer season. I started trouble shooting and found the solenoid was bad by testing it with a voltmeter. Changed the solenoid and it wouldn't fire. Found a wire had come off the fuse block at the fire wall. Once I put it on it would fire with starting fluid but die immediately. Went through the fuel system and found the pump had a compromise diaphragm. A quick trip to the loca small engine shop and 25$ later it is firming up as soon as O turn the key. The problem is it dies as soon as I disengage the starter. It as if its losing fire when the key goes from start to run. I searched the threads and haven't found a similar post. Has anyone got any ideas where to check? I checked all other fuses and they are good. The engine is a 16hp vanguard.

Other than cranking the engine the electrical has nothing to do with the engine running, key switch only cranks and shuts off the engine. Try to disconnect the small wire on the shroud that does the killing, if it runs the key switch is bad. This is assuming you have good compression, and don't have spark and do have fuel, if you do have good spark clean the carb.. Pull starting it will tell you if you have spark with a spark tester.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

That was it! I removed the "kill wire" off the front and away we went. My daughter made me run her around until we ran out of gas. Thank you Jim. It looks like yet another part I need to replace but until then I'm killing it by touching the wire to the lug.

The new replacement switch will come with the new style key.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.

Can I just use a generic ignition switch or do I need to get an Argo specific one? I planned to just pick one up at NAPA.

You could use generic, just look at the manual and be sure the switch does what yours does. A generic switch may have a smaller mounting hole.

I installed a new Argo switch to find my relay was shot too. So let's recap solenoid bad, ignition bad, relay bad! I was talking to the guy at the local small engine shop and asked what would zapp everything. He asked if I had jumped it off with my truck. I said yes and he asked was the truck running. I said yes again and he said the sporadic voltage from the truck alternator could have done it. So from now on if I jump it off I will turn the charged vehicle off. It was an expensive lesson.

+ Reply to Thread