Confused about axle bearings ???

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Confused about axle bearings ???

Quote Originally Posted by ve1sar View Post
    Hi, Here is some info about Argo axles. Argos have bearings and chain sprockets. The bearings and sprockets are held in place with set screws. The set screws don't hold the axle from moving in and out. At the in board end of the axle there is a threaded 3/8 inch hole for a bolt. This bolt along with 2 washers hold the axles in place. If you don't have these bolts and washers on your axles in your machine you are missing parts and the axles could move in and out.

Read the threads started by Curtisbyrne on the first page by my self and Dan67 on this subject
    Remember this is an earlier machine, pre Conquest, Avenger, Frontier. Machines prior to 10973 may not have stepped axles or bolts and washers. For instance, some machines came with set screw outers and locking collar inners.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

for years i have been driving without thrust bolts,so i dont see it as a problem for my argo

and mine is before 10972 fyi

confused about axle bearings

Quote Originally Posted by curtisbyrne View Post
    for years i have been driving without thrust bolts,so i dont see it as a problem for my argo
    You must be right Curtis but you and I must wonder why your axles have threaded holes in the end of them if you don't need them??? Are the ends of your axles stepped?

they are just the same diameter throughout the whole axle.except one.i dont use tracks so im not hard on axles so there are probably a few orignal ones on there lol. but honest to god i never had thrust bolts and never had a problem without them!

I don't know where the year break is but I believe the older machines did not have thrust or retaining bolts. My early 80s HD (and a second one I have for parts) do NOT have thrust bolts, just a collar on the axle just inboard of the frame. I will have to double check but I believe my manual shows this to be correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Vance in AK View Post
    I don't know where the year break is but I believe the older machines did not have thrust or retaining bolts. My early 80s HD (and a second one I have for parts) do NOT have thrust bolts, just a collar on the axle just inboard of the frame. I will have to double check but I believe my manual shows this to be correct.
    Hey Vance, between Argo Jim's post and yours we gotta believe that Curtis' Argo Magnum came originally without thrust bolts. The threaded holes on some of his axles may be replacement axles installed over the years. Still learning about the old machines and trying to figure out why my new Avenger needed to have its speedo reprogrammed to get the heat guage to stop indicating that it was overheating when it was fine. It,s good now and apparently there is a bulletin.

I will look around too see if there was any thrust bolts around and if I get a few the same size and they fit the Argo and then I will keep looking knowing then that maybe there was thrust bolts and my grandfather forgot to put them in? But all these years as far as I know have been thrust bolt free and trouble free as far as axles go hehe
    Someone send a pic of a original Argo thrust volt off a machine similar to mine to see if I can match it up if I find some

+ Reply to Thread