Confused about axle bearings ???

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Confused about axle bearings ???

Confused about axle bearings ???

Ok i posted before about this, The old man had new bearings done two yrs ago, they all feel solid except my front left axle is sliding in and out about an inch,i have been trying to figure this out, admittedly I'm no expert , but if the axle bearing is shot dont the axles have up & down (or side to side) play ? Mine do not, My one axle has no play except for slides in and out, almost like the sprocket is supposed to stop it from pulling out but it's not secured in the right place... Please keep in mind I've never done bearings and seals so I have no clue what im looking at..
    "I've yet to encounter a problem that cannot be solved with the right mixture of whiskey and weaponry"
    :ME....

" From my cold dead hands"
    :Charlton Heston...

Sound like your thrust bolt is very loose, it is located in the inboard end of your axle.

i have no thrust bolts in my axles so i doubt that is the problem. maybe the setscrew that hold the bearings on the axle may need tightning. there is two little screws on the collar of each bearing that hold it onto the axle so it dont slip! check those with an allen key

Ya it looks like you're right Curtis but I can't get my big clumsy hands in that tight little space to even try to fit an Allen key...Absolutely everything is in the Way. I can't even tell if there is an Allen key screw in there or if it's missing. Why would they make this so damned impossible?

Edit: OK I thought about it for a minute, loosened off the sprocket, got one side completely in the air so I can rotate all the axles and managed to squeeze my hand in to the setscrew, but it's as tight as it will go. I cranked on it with a pair of vise grips's clenching the Allen key and it won't budge more than a quarter turn, and The axle is still sliding in and out.
    Last edited by Kris W; 06-01-2016 at 09:38 AM.

maybe just maybe your two bearings are in the wrong place.your best bet is and sorry for telling you this but it means that you need to loosen off everything(bearings,sprokets) then loosen the outer flange an take it out and have a look. the axle should have marked places like a little hole where it is recommended to go or even a little wear on the axle will show where the bearings should be sitting! but before you do check the other set screws as well if already didnt. like billy joel said "you may be right" but i may be crazy but with the bearings in the wrong spot on the axle that may cause some play in the axle which you dont want!

Kris sounds like the collars are off the eccentrics or the eccentrics are broken, again off the eccentrics, if they are chipped you will need new bearings.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Update , I WON !!!

A new day with fresh eyes, restored patience, rested hand muscles and some good old-fashioned, North American "stick-to-it-ness" ! I considered everything that was said and tried loosening the setscrew on one of the other axles ( that was previously tight ) and the axle would slide in and out exactly the same as the problem axle.. So this told me it had to be that setscrew. I then backed out the setscrew on the problem axle as far as I thought I could go with it before falling Out. I got the trusty WD-40 with the skinny spray tube and soaked the axle & collar, under the setscrew and then worked the screw in & out repeatedly until it got as tight as it would go and voilĂ* ! the axle is now locked down, and has no play whatsoever ! Thanks once again guys, this group has saved me a whole lot of time, stress and money with ideas & suggestions ive gotten since I joined !
    "I've yet to encounter a problem that cannot be solved with the right mixture of whiskey and weaponry"
    :ME....

" From my cold dead hands"
    :Charlton Heston...

no problem kris, fells good to help members instead of driving them crazy with questions lol.good luck with the tank

Quote Originally Posted by curtisbyrne View Post
    i have no thrust bolts in my axles so i doubt that is the problem. maybe the setscrew that hold the bearings on the axle may need tightning. there is two little screws on the collar of each bearing that hold it onto the axle so it dont slip! check those with an allen key
    I thought something sounded off with the above advise, seen your current post as of late. Posting this for others to not become confused. Hope all works out well!!!

Hi, Here is some info about Argo axles. Argos have bearings and chain sprockets. The bearings and sprockets are held in place with set screws. The set screws don't hold the axle from moving in and out. At the in board end of the axle there is a threaded 3/8 inch hole for a bolt. This bolt along with 2 washers hold the axles in place. If you don't have these bolts and washers on your axles in your machine you are missing parts and the axles could move in and out.

Read the threads started by Curtisbyrne on the first page by my self and Dan67 on this subject

+ Reply to Thread