brake callipers

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: brake callipers

brake callipers

i am emoving the right side brake calliper of my argo becuase my dad took it for a trip last year not knowing the brake pads were gone on one side and the metal ate the rotor so i am trying to remove the calliper but i cant get the bottom bolt out even with vice grips latched on to the allen key.

If it is like my conquest.. you have to jack up the machine. You will need to turn the tires in order to turn the rotor so that the hole in the rotor lines up with the bolt you need to remove. Use allen key socket to remove bolt and spacers if equiped. I do the top then the bottom bolt. Once the caliper is off just pull pins, drop out old pad. Spread the caliper open and insert new pad and clips. Then install back, easier to do the top first then the bottom bolt. Don't forget the spacers.

yeah but the bolt wotn budge (bottom)

Assuming you are turning the bolt the right way, left side up and right side down, you could use a small piece of pipe as a lever extension or take the cut off piece and put it in a socket.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

the vice grips spin on the allen key even when i have it tightned with all my might

got the calliper of,boy what a mess now gettig rotor off? it wont come off becuase it is hooking up in the 24 tooth sproket below it

Curtis you have to remove both primary chains to get the motor plate high enough to clear those lower sprockets. Don't forget to loosen the center bolt on the motor plate, failing to do so you risk bending the plate. If the plate is taco'ed it changes the shaft center distance between the trans and engine affecting how the belt performs in the clutches. That's some drama you do not want to deal with since you seem to being having too much fun already. Hang in there buddy and good luck... RR

can i just raise the tranny and pry it up and pull the rotor off?

You can't raise the tranny high enough without removing both primary drive chains

Quote Originally Posted by curtisbyrne View Post
    got the calliper of,boy what a mess now gettig rotor off? it wont come off becuase it is hooking up in the 24 tooth sproket below it
    Curtis, for the benefit of other people who may encounter the same problem, Can you tell us what you did to get the allen head bolt out from the bottom of your brake rotor. Good luck removing your chains and getting the rotor replaced.

+ Reply to Thread