Hdi in water with current

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Hdi in water with current

I believe the Adair tracks are the best single option for an Argo. Yes, they swim, don't expect outboard type speeds but I do believe the machines that I owned with Adair tracks swam better than just with tires. As with anything, weight does add to wear and tear. I used to cross a creek with several silt banks hidden below the water, the machines with tires only struggled and often bogged in the silt, the ones with tracks never missed a beat and just made it through like it was nothing. The main deal with tracks is that you don't have to struggle with locking one side or the other to turn, the tracks do all the work and making turns is super easy.

Just a quick question as to water use, are you in low range ? If not try that first, water speed will be hurt but control should be much better when afloat.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Woods View Post
    I believe the Adair tracks are the best single option for an Argo. Yes, they swim, don't expect outboard type speeds but I do believe the machines that I owned with Adair tracks swam better than just with tires. As with anything, weight does add to wear and tear. I used to cross a creek with several silt banks hidden below the water, the machines with tires only struggled and often bogged in the silt, the ones with tracks never missed a beat and just made it through like it was nothing. The main deal with tracks is that you don't have to struggle with locking one side or the other to turn, the tracks do all the work and making turns is super easy.
    I agree 100% what Noel has to say here. The advantages far outweigh the disadvantages with a set of adairs,for example, you never would have had a hard time getting up on the sandbar in the river.With the right set of adair tracks,you are able to milk all the preformance out of your unit,and i see this time,and time,and time again when I take out clients for a test run in the muck,and they think I'm trying to make an extra buck by selling the tracks.The first thing I load is the pull strap,and then my knee boots,as i know in just a few min. I will be pulling out the untracked unit.
    Air presure has very little to do with swimming,but as ARGOJIM mentioned,going in low will help,as you loose speed when you run the tires too fast in water,as now the tires are cavitating,or pushing air instead of water.Also,to get an argo to turn in water,you need to apply body english,lots of it,and at 275lbs.this will be a huge advantage for you.Lean to one side so the water is right up to the bottom of the bumper,and you will be surprised at how it turns.
    Experience is needed when dealing with currant,as this is the easiest way to get in lots of trouble if you don't know your limitations in currant.

Hey cdover, Argos, streams, rivers, moving currents, or what ever do not get along. My advice is to stay away from moving water, as you and I have found on many occasions moving water or current can get you in very big trouble. Lakes and pounds with the 25" tires are a piece of cake. Give the machine gas a point it in the right direction.
    More air in the tires equals better water speed. I like to carry a plug in electric pump on the trail in case I need to change air pressure or have other issues.

If you buy a set of Adair tracks you will find that your machine gains over 100% mobility and that your HDI suddenly becomes a machine that will take you through mud holes that no else would dare try and a Adair equipped HDI will make it look very easy!! Watch the video and I pretty sure sure you will see what I am talking about.

My caution here, Adair tracks swim but not fast, about 1 1/2 mph to 2 mph depending on conditions and the best way to turn the machine in water is not to steer but to turn by shifting your weight.

My advice: stay away from moving water and keep to the ponds and lakes. If you are considering Adair Pro series tracks you will find that they will change a capable Argo into an absolute unstoppable beast. As for me, I am on my forth machine with Adair tracks and I will not run an Argo with out them.
    Last edited by mightymaxIV; 06-22-2016 at 08:26 AM.

I didnt have any problems getting back on the sandbar. It was a gentle, almost flat slope straight into water. My problem, and the thing that perplexes me when I read that people are swimming UPstream against the current, is wondering how the heck!??? Mine will not swim upstream at all if it is fully floating. I think I found my answer is to just stay away from current like most of you have said. Maybe with an outboard, but I still dont know if I would trust it. But its not critical for me to ever go into current so its an easy fix.

I see another post discussing the same issue but wanting to know if tracks would help swim better. We have discussed that here too in detail. I think im gonna go ahead and buy the tracks just to have but not run all the time. If I know im going somewhere questionable I will put them on. My concern with tracks is how much wear and tear they cause. If I can go say 10 years with 'x' amount of maintenance with just tires, then how many years with tracks to do the same 'x' amount of maint? 8 yrs?? I know they stress the axle bearings. Do they also slow the Argo down, cause binding and chain wind up more easily, wear the tires quicker, etc?? Also, do the Adairs have a tendency to walk out of them? All questions im currently researching before I make a final decision. But no doubt they would turn it into a beast!

And before anyone wastes time explaining, I do understand tire size and position placement and the importance of proper air pressure when running them. Im asking more about wear and tear and lo ngevity if I do all the maintenance properly with vs without tracks.
    Last edited by cdover73; 06-29-2016 at 11:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cdover73 View Post
    I didnt have any problems getting back on the sandbar. It was a gentle, almost flat slope straight into water. My problem, and the thing that perplexes me when I read that people are swimming UPstream against the current, is wondering how the heck!??? Mine will not swim upstream at all if it is fully floating. I think I found my answer is to just stay away from current like most of you have said. Maybe with an outboard, but I still dont know if I would trust it. But its not critical for me to ever go into current so its an easy fix.

I see another post discussing the same issue but wanting to know if tracks would help swim better. We have discussed that here too in detail. I think im gonna go ahead and buy the tracks just to have but not run all the time. If I know im going somewhere questionable I will put them on. My concern with tracks is how much wear and tear they cause. If I can go say 10 years with 'x' amount of maintenance with just tires, then how many years with tracks to do the same 'x' amount of maint? 8 yrs?? I know they stress the axle bearings. Do they also slow the Argo down, cause binding and chain wind up more easily, wear the tires quicker, etc?? Also, do the Adairs have a tendency to walk out of them? All questions im currently researching before I make a final decision. But no doubt they would turn it into a beast!

And before anyone wastes time explaining, I do understand tire size and position placement and the importance of proper air pressure when running them. Im asking more about wear and tear and lo ngevity if I do all the maintenance properly with vs without tracks.
    Cdover, Pertaining to Adair tracks, Adair's allow the tires to slip a little in the tracks so the stress on tires, chains and bearings is minimal. Adair's turn easier then tires so there is less stress on the entire drive train. If you buy the pro series tracks the maintenance is minimal, as far as wear you will see very little wear on the tracks and I assure you once you put a set on and see how easy the machine turns, how smooth it rides and how easy it goes through the mud holes you thought were impossible, you will not not want to take them off. As for me the Adair's came off my HDI one time for about an hour, I got stuck three times in mud holes that were nothing with Adair's. I took the Adair's off my 650 HD and ran the machine into my pond, I got so stuck so badly with the 25 inch Raw hide III's that I thought I would never get the machine out of the mud. The Adair's went back on and I drove through the same mud a few minutes later without so much as a grunt from my HD.

Here some video of the HD

Here is a video of four ARGOs in the water in Lake Ontario. Not much current, but lots of waves.

http://youtu.be/SKv9k5w5wLk
    Last edited by philipatmaxfour; 07-05-2016 at 09:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by philipatmaxfour View Post
    Here is a video of four ARGOs in the water in Lake Ontario. Not much current, but lots of waves.

http://youtu.be/SKv9k5w5wLk
    Wow, I don't believe I would be taking my machine into those waves or current, I honor you but I wouldn't do it.

No way that I'd go into those waves either, and I base that upon seeing several machines swamped and going down to Davey Jones' locker.

HDI in water

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Woods View Post
    No way that I'd go into those waves either, and I base that upon seeing several machines swamped and going down to Davey Jones' locker.
    I am sure that you fine folks are right,but, did we ever have fun!

+ Reply to Thread