brake pads?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: brake pads?

brake pads?

just bought a new rotor,installed it yesterday! would an old set of never used brake pads work? they have lots of meat on them yet and are a little rusty.they have a wear groove going down the middle so they are an older pair. would the brake pads dry out after a while and start eating my rotor since they are old pads or am i good to use them? i really dont want to frig this rotor up.thanks

Should be fine as long as there is no grease on them.

If the groove in the middle is inward and there are no rough surfaces you may be ok, if you're in doubt use new and put them under the seat in case of emergency.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

they have never been used,just a bit iffy on using them. so yes or no?

Go ahead and use them.

I think the "wear groove" your speaking of is actually the factory pad slot. This is there so the pad sits flat on the rotor as the pads surface heats up and expands. Cutting a vertical or diagonal slot in the pad reduces the tendency for the pad to bend when heated. Slots also help reduce brake fade by providing a passage for gasses and dust to escape at high brake temperatures. I'm sure Argojim thought you were talking about slight damage to the pad from use on a groved (damaged) rotor. That's how I read it the first time anyway.

Thanks Zuk, right you are.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.

I knew what the groove was lol but I just wanted to see,should I use the old never used pads on the new rotor or use the already used almost worn pads on the new rotor?

New.

The newer pads?

The new old stock pads will work fine, install both sides as a set.

+ Reply to Thread