Front chains

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Front chains

Front chains

How in the name of God do you put on the front chains? Need some help here big time

I use a chain tensioner, you first wrap the chain around the sprockets and get the ends close, then you use the tensioner to pull the links together and slip the master link on. Once you've done it a few times its not that bad, be prepared to get some scrapes and abrasions on your hands. I've always said a third hand would come in handy when replacing chain, so if you have a friend or spouse to help, it goes much easier.

I ground down the tips of an old pair of vice grips to hook into the chain rollers and get them set so the distance is right for the master link to fit in sometime it takes a few tries but after you do it it is a fairly easy but awkward job

once you are ready to put in the master link, you can use the tires to help rotate axles/sprockets so that you can tension the opposite side of the chain to give you the most slack to work with on the master-link side. Same thing can be done to the front tire get chain started under the front sprocket. Occasionally a magnet will help keep the end of the chain on the sprocket until it rotates a bit further up and over the sprocket.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    once you are ready to put in the master link, you can use the tires to help rotate axles/sprockets so that you can tension the opposite side of the chain to give you the most slack to work with on the master-link side. Same thing can be done to the front tire get chain started under the front sprocket. Occasionally a magnet will help keep the end of the chain on the sprocket until it rotates a bit further up and over the sprocket.
    I think that Buzz meant that you obviously must have the wheels on that side of the machine jacked up clear of the floor so "you can use the tires to help rotate axles..."

yep you're right
    trying to put chains on without being able to freely rotate the axles is not much fun at all

I have the Argo in the air but just getting them on,there new so they are tight and how about the exhaust on the left side,how am I supposed to get that chain on?

curtis, some guys use a heavy '' zip tie '' to pull the chain tight together. maybe that would work for you. j.b.

Piece of haywire to feed the chain around the bottom of the sprocket.. Try to line up the ends on top of the closest sprocket and feed in the master link.. They are a pain, but with some practice you can make it less of a battle.. Being an acrobat helps!! Also a spare set of hands to rotate the tire can help...

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    yep you're right
    trying to put chains on without being able to freely rotate the axles is not much fun at all
    I tried doing the chains and adjusters with the tracks on once.. That was the last time for that fiasco!! Made the job way more stressful and frustrating...

+ Reply to Thread