Buying new argo, transmission ponderings.

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Buying new argo, transmission ponderings.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparx View Post
    LX is only available in the HS trans, I would highly advise against this for any track system. The Escargo tracks do better then I thought with the STD trans, but I can't wait to get my HT (high torque) trans in due to the weight of these tracks. They take a bit to get up to speed in comparison to my previous HT Avenger with Rubber tracks. I really liked the HT trans, it accelerated fast and still gave me my top speed with the tracks on still. With the heavy Escargo tracks I feel the STD trans really struggle in the acceleration and high speed area but still turn in the thick good even in High range surprisingly without burning up the belt.

With the HS trans in the LX Avenger you would be stressing out the belt and clutching getting them really hot in anything but low range with tracks installed, even worse with a heavy track setup. You would be better off taking your chances if you did with a lighter plastic track setup like the Adair setup in that case but still have issues at low speed high loads in High Range. Plus you really have to be careful with tracks at high speed as they have to be set tight or they slap the tub pretty bad and you can have rubbing issues even with plastic tracks.

Do yourself a favour even though you could purchase the stereo separate, just install a bluetooth portable setup in your Argo and the USB/12V plugin yourself. I did this myself, even went as far as ordering a separate HT trans but I don't think you wanna go that route, it's ridiculously expensive.

If you really want the beadlock wheels just go with the Avenger STR and choose your trans in STD or HT. HS trans really is made for tire use only, I would get STD trans for tire and track use, and HT if the tracks are staying on all the time and being used in really heavy mud or swamp in High Range.
    That is exactly the information I am looking for. I will miss the nice Cranberry Red color, but my first concern is a model that can use tracks. I really like the idea of bead lock tires. I understand that the Escargo tracks are heavy, but with all the videos I have seen, comments I have read, and posts that I have read, they look like a good solution to mud, water, and snow. Once I get little closer to making the purchase, I will start a thead of my own asking more questions. You have given me good, solid advice, and I appreciate it. From what I am seeing, I will make the purchase within 2 months. This is a lifelong dream, and I am very excited. I don't want to screw up.

Steve

Good on you Steve, your welcome for the advice. It is truly hard to build the right Argo for your needs when most dealers don't even know these details I find. I had issues before this model change even getting the proper HT trans and had to show them how to tell on the unit with the stamping on the trans and all.
    It's really unfortunate they narrow the market choices the way they did with the specific models and colors and options. I truly think you will enjoy the STR much better then the LX. The LX is trying to be a SxS and will never be one. Anything less then 50kph just won't make it keep up with the SxS and ATV crowds and without suspension you wouldn't want to do those speeds anyways.
    It's surprising but the HT transmission can actually get more speed with tracks on then the higher geared trans setups because they have the power to turn the extra weight and use the larger circumference tire of the Rubber tracks to go faster. Unfortunately the Escargo are a reduction style track with the side belts being the circumference reference for speed and slow you down some on top of the weight issue. I do find it worth the extra traction as long as you are willing to do 10-13mph instead of 14-17mph with a regular flat track setup like the plastic, rubber or adair designs. These reasons are why I will be trying out the Adair tracks next, get some more speed, light weight, and retain the swimming function with benefits of narrower width as well. I really do miss the 18" Rubber tracks at times for how smooth they were, tread lightly friendly, and ride quality.

LX or HS tranny and STD 34-200-6.2 transmission are EXACTLY the same.. Conquest have the 34-200-7.1

The LX has different idlers and sprockets. (25% faster than a STD)
    HT 34-200-8.1 (20% slower but gain in Torque)
    Don't forget, ARGOs are not meant for speed(except the very light 6x6s)... people don't understand that... they are meant to get out through extreme terrain, people think of it like an extreme RzR or CanAm Maverick turbo.

+ Reply to Thread