Buying new argo, transmission ponderings.

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Buying new argo, transmission ponderings.

The new prices on the 2017's are ridiculous. I would never buy a new Argo at those prices. An Argo will never compete ever with the SXS market especially at those prices. You'd swear your buying a Can Am Maverick Turbo 4 seater at those prices! They can make the axles thicker every year, the next weak link will surely be the frame.

Yes I agree u can't even buy an Argo at a sensible price even if u just use it for a load of wood here and there,not like in the 80s, $8000- $10 000 for an Argo with everything installed! But now if u want a cheap Argo u need to buy a six by six which isn't much good for recreation uses. They need to bring the price down. By the time the machine is 8-10 years old you almost have more money put into parts and assories than what the machine is actually worth

I just purchased a new 2017 frontier 6x6 st. I take it swimming in low turn right the right side tires are stopped. there is no counter rotation occurring. To say that this transmission counter rotates is a false statement. On ground you may see the tires appear to go backwards but they are not being driven by power. imo

Hey Mr. Bigfootbob, your transmission is working as its suppose too. The Frontier has the older style transmission and it is a good set up. I'm pretty sure you have to get an hdi to get the Admiral tranny.

brand new 2017 frontier 6x6 st. it has the admiral transmission

Quote Originally Posted by bigfootbob View Post
    brand new 2017 frontier 6x6 st. it has the admiral transmission
    Some of Argo's newer literature says that the Admiral tranny has been changed to allow the wheels on one side to be completely stopped while the other side is powered but the counter rotation has been cancelled. Check with Fox Valley or Argo Jim or Adair argo.

This is a very interesting thread. I am about to purchase an Argo. I really liked the stereo and USB ports of the LX. Now, I am concerned the transmission may not handle thick mud. I have no idea what conditions I will find here in New Hampshire, but unstoppable is my main requirement. I want to be able to drive the machine through the most severe conditions I can find. I am also considering Escargo tracks, and once again the transmission may not be able to handle them, even with track tuners. Any suggestions for a 8 wheel model that is unstoppable, and hopefully has USB ports would be most helpful.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by scimanstev View Post
    This is a very interesting thread. I am about to purchase an Argo. I really liked the stereo and USB ports of the LX. Now, I am concerned the transmission may not handle thick mud. I have no idea what conditions I will find here in New Hampshire, but unstoppable is my main requirement. I want to be able to drive the machine through the most severe conditions I can find. I am also considering Escargo tracks, and once again the transmission may not be able to handle them, even with track tuners. Any suggestions for a 8 wheel model that is unstoppable, and hopefully has USB ports would be most helpful.

Steve
    I do not believe ANY machine is unstoppable be it terrain, usable power or traction. The biggest unstoppable factor is the operators seat time and ability to read the terrain in his path and knowing what his particular machine will do in all available paths in his travels, which is near impossible.

You Will get stuck at some point in any vehicle, seat time lessens this and in some cases simply teaches the operator lines in which you get least stuck. For instance your worst stuck in this sport is only your worst stuck until your stuck worse. Pushing the edge of momentum, traction and drag will lead to stuck.

If you go LX consider a lower geared trans if you intend on tracks for more useable power and less heat build up.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Thank you. I have actually never seen an Argo in person, but have watched every video I could find, many of them multiple times. I agree seat time is critical, and I can't wait to get started. I am 57, and shortly I will be able to afford an Argo, as I have been obsessed with amphibious Atvs since I was a boy. I am trying to do my homework before I make the purchase.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by ARGOJIM View Post
    I do not believe ANY machine is unstoppable be it terrain, usable power or traction. The biggest unstoppable factor is the operators seat time and ability to read the terrain in his path and knowing what his particular machine will do in all available paths in his travels, which is near impossible.

You Will get stuck at some point in any vehicle, seat time lessens this and in some cases simply teaches the operator lines in which you get least stuck. For instance your worst stuck in this sport is only your worst stuck until your stuck worse. Pushing the edge of momentum, traction and drag will lead to stuck.

If you go LX consider a lower geared trans if you intend on tracks for more useable power and less heat build up.
    LX is only available in the HS trans, I would highly advise against this for any track system. The Escargo tracks do better then I thought with the STD trans, but I can't wait to get my HT (high torque) trans in due to the weight of these tracks. They take a bit to get up to speed in comparison to my previous HT Avenger with Rubber tracks. I really liked the HT trans, it accelerated fast and still gave me my top speed with the tracks on still. With the heavy Escargo tracks I feel the STD trans really struggle in the acceleration and high speed area but still turn in the thick good even in High range surprisingly without burning up the belt.

With the HS trans in the LX Avenger you would be stressing out the belt and clutching getting them really hot in anything but low range with tracks installed, even worse with a heavy track setup. You would be better off taking your chances if you did with a lighter plastic track setup like the Adair setup in that case but still have issues at low speed high loads in High Range. Plus you really have to be careful with tracks at high speed as they have to be set tight or they slap the tub pretty bad and you can have rubbing issues even with plastic tracks.

Do yourself a favour even though you could purchase the stereo separate, just install a bluetooth portable setup in your Argo and the USB/12V plugin yourself. I did this myself, even went as far as ordering a separate HT trans but I don't think you wanna go that route, it's ridiculously expensive.

If you really want the beadlock wheels just go with the Avenger STR and choose your trans in STD or HT. HS trans really is made for tire use only, I would get STD trans for tire and track use, and HT if the tracks are staying on all the time and being used in really heavy mud or swamp in High Range.

+ Reply to Thread