Swimming question

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Swimming question

Swimming question

I am considering adding a set of Adair pro tracks to my EFI frontier. We use the machine in the river from time to time and while its a shallow river the machine does float. I will have to travel up current from time to time and have no problems doing so on tires, until I hit the sad bars and its a fight. I am sure once I hit the sand the tracks will probably work much better than tires but my concern is the swim time. Will I be able to move at all with those tracks??? I dont have to swim far to get from shoal to shoal but it has to happen. When I plan to travel farther than I can see I will be taking my outboard but its a bit of a pain for short trips. What do you guys with these tracks think?

Jason
    2015 Argo frontier EFI Camo. 4000lb vortex winch with synthetic rope. 3.3 trans.

~1998 Max IV (SN 14428) on 26" TRU Power tires, winch with synthetic rope, rear seat moved back 5 inches, flip top rear seat with storage underneath, 55 lb thrust trolling motor, #24 marine Battery and a bilge pump just in case.-sold

Those tracks swim but they aren't fast. I'd be afraid you wouldn't overcome the current. There are a few videos that members have posted of those tracks swimming in a mud puddle or pond. Take a look at those and see how fast/slow the tracks are in comparison to the river you are dealing with. What speed do you think the river moves? What tires do you have now?

I have the factory 24" argo tire that comes on the frontiers still. I have no way of guessing how fast the river moves, but if its much I dont get in it. Really we just use the river once the creek dries up for the year mostly. This year I have not been able to get TO the river on tires by going down the creek. The mud that lives at the end of the creek is just too tough, water holes and then VERY VERY deep mud. Just hard enough of a crust to draw the dogs out onto it but even they sink in. Thats one of my biggest reasons for wanting the tracks, I hate getting stopped from going where I want to go. I would just take the motor every time but the water is so shallow that I spend a lot of time pulling the motor up and driving, while the tires are slow (regardless of current) they do make me move, and we're not in a big hurry..

Jason
    2015 Argo frontier EFI Camo. 4000lb vortex winch with synthetic rope. 3.3 trans.

~1998 Max IV (SN 14428) on 26" TRU Power tires, winch with synthetic rope, rear seat moved back 5 inches, flip top rear seat with storage underneath, 55 lb thrust trolling motor, #24 marine Battery and a bilge pump just in case.-sold

The 24" Frontier Tires swim twice as well as the best swimming tracks I've ever tried. I've had 5 or 6 different styles of tracks over the years, some swim better than others, some don't swim at all. Don't think I would try going upstream with any of them.
    RD

Well darn. I was sure hoping they would be a little better than nothing. Still considering buying a set. What about getting up on the sandbar, and crossing through the water then mud then water areas? Will the track help with that? I could always take a paddle with me I guess, or just mount the trolling motor and wire it to the starting battery. Would probably want to upgrade the battery also., or add an alternator-- or both. At least with a trolling motor I could adjust the depth to the point the blades would be just above tire height maybe I could keep from banging it up too bad that way.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by jtb51b View Post
    Well darn. I was sure hoping they would be a little better than nothing. Still considering buying a set. What about getting up on the sandbar, and crossing through the water then mud then water areas? Will the track help with that?
    Jason
    Absolutly yes

RD

Well alright! At least they will be helpful for those times. Really those times are my biggest frustration, its not that I am stuck its just that I am either denied or fighting it more than I think I should. The sandbar was a royal pain, the wife was getting sun burned and we were SO close to a nice shaded area, she had to drive so I could put weight on the back and add a little forward assistance now and again--she had never driven the argo other than in the yard. If tracks will help those situations then they are in my future.

Jason

+ Reply to Thread