Removing bolts from front bearing extensions on 97 Argo Bigfoot

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Removing bolts from front bearing extensions on 97 Argo Bigfoot

Removing bolts from front bearing extensions on 97 Argo Bigfoot

Hello,
    I just bought my first Argo. Always thought they looked like fun so I finally bought one. A 1997 Bigfoot.
    I am getting ready to remove the 3 front bolts on the front bearing extensions to put on snow plow brackets.
    I looked inside the frame and it looks like the nuts are inside a tube? Are the welded to the frame?
    I started to remove one of the bolts and it was very tight and really did not feel like it was going to come out very good.
    Anyone been through this before that has any suggestions or comments. I would hate to break the nut loose from inside that tube.
    And how would you get the bolt out if one of the nuts did come loose. I don't see anyway to get to the inside to hold the nut.
    Thanks,
    Tony

There are no nuts as the tube is threaded.
    Try spraying penetrating oil while working it back and forth or impact it still probably needing back and forth. Through the bolts away , chase the holes with a tap and use neverseize liberally on what you put back in.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Hi,
    The 3 front bolts that hold the housing on are 7/16 fine thread bolts. You are going to have to work the bolts back and forth carefully to get them out. They will be tight. You will have to put penetrating oil on the bolts once you get them started. you will have to replace to bolts as the threads will be tore getting them out. You will have to buy a set of fine thread 7/16 taps. Use the taps in in the right order starter tap first and so on. Re tap the threads by hand do not us an impact on the taps, they can break easy. Use taping cutting fluid on the tap. TAKE YOUR TIME TAPING THE THREADS YOU DO NOT WANT TO BREAK THE TAP,IF YOU SHOULD BREAK IT YOU WILL HAVE TO BREAK THE REST OF IT TO REMOVE IT. When you purchase new bolts make them longer than the original to compensate for the plow bracket thickness. Put neverseize on the bolts. IT is not recommended that you install the brackets all year around as they could get caught in something in the field, only to be used for plowing snow in the winter or moving gravel or dirt in the summer????? Hope this helps. Good luck, Paul

Thanks guys that is great info. I feel alittle better about it now that I know what is involved. Hopefully it goes well. Thanks again.

+ Reply to Thread