1991 (I think) Argo Magnum 8x8 Questions

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 1991 (I think) Argo Magnum 8x8 Questions

Thank you. I just ordered 100 ft of usa chain. 25 dollars on amaxon.... i have no idea if it will ever ship though.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009D...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

WOW! I have never seen chain that cheap lol. The last time I bought some cheap chinese 50-2 chain it was more than double that price for only a 10' roll.

First off, welcome ! Congratulations on joining the "Argo army" , to be honest With only 89 hours on the machine, the chains were probably fine the way they were. But since you've already ordered them I guess put new on.. I'd keep your old chains though because when the new ones wear out 200 + hrs from now, ( sooner if they're cheaply made) you will be happy you still have em' that's a nice machine you got there ! Its praticaly brand new ! I'd trade my "left one" to knock 500 hours off my machine ! LOL Best of luck, you're in the right place to find answers to any question !
    "I've yet to encounter a problem that cannot be solved with the right mixture of whiskey and weaponry"
    :ME....

" From my cold dead hands"
    :Charlton Heston...

This chain interests me. Says it's shipped from and sold by Amazon, so likely at least halfway legit. I have half a mind to order up a bunch for my Magnum.

I'd suggest putting the order in just in case, but I wouldn't hold your breath on it ever shipping. Amazon lets 3rd party sellers (and themselves) cancel orders for pricing errors. There was a screaming deal on Interco Vampires a few years back for something like $29/ea. Some of us ordered a bunch but they eventually just cancelled each and every order because of the pricing error.

Not to be Debbie Downer about it... Go for it and see if it works!

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy_Magnum View Post
    This chain interests me. Says it's shipped from and sold by Amazon, so likely at least halfway legit. I have half a mind to order up a bunch for my Magnum.
    This was my thought on it. For 25 dollars and free prime shipping, what's to lose? Thats enough chain to redo the argo twice for 25 bucks!

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy_Magnum View Post
    Rudy, have you noticed anything in particular about the magnum I need to pay attention to?

Okay.. hit a snag and need some help. I have replaced all the bearings sans the ones on the idler shafts and they are some grumbly bearings. I guess I like to save the best for last. I have removed all the bolts on the bearing retainers, removed set screws, and the shafts are absolutely glued in place. I have used kroil, a torch (within reason), impact hammer, hydraulic expander, etc. with no success. Short of cutting them out and ordering new idler shafts at ~450 us bucks, what options do I have? The bearings on the inboard under the tranny were never greased and both have gritty spots with one obviously skidding at certain points due to detritus in the bearing.

Are the bearings stuck to the retainers or the idler stuck to the bearings or both? I would cut off the outside retainer and start cutting the bearing with a cut-off wheel. Once you get into the bearing a good ways without cutting into your idler shaft, use a chisel to crack the bearing off.

The bearings are glued to the idler shaft, which means the shaft can't be removed. I finally got the one on the left out with a hydraulic expander by keeping it under tension (not enough to bend frame), heating with a torch, shock cooling with kroil, and hammering on it like it owed me money. The one on the right that runs under the battery frame has now come out via 4" cutting wheel. I was thinking about starting to cut into the bearing, but the clearance on the right side is almost nil. Good news is i'm only out for one shaft.

+ Reply to Thread