2012 Avenger axle parts required

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2012 Avenger axle parts required

2012 Avenger axle parts required

Hey All,

I just bought my first Argo (2012 Avenger EFI 8x8) 1 year ago and used it on my hunting trip last fall here in Alberta. I bought it from an oilfield rental place with 650 hours and 1600 KM's on it so I expected a few issues. I put Escargo tracks on it before going hunting but ended up completely destroying the right front inner axle bearing. I heard a rattling sound but didn't know enough about it at the time to even think of checking things over. Luckily, the bearing finally packed it in when I was on a lease road not far from the truck after I got out of the swamp so I was able to get it back on the trailer. I am having issues getting the axle out of the bearing race so I am going to cut the axle and replace it since I am sure it will have some damage anyway. I also found a little bit of play in the 2 mid bearings as well so I am going to play it safe and replace all the inner and outer axle bearings and all the chains. This way I will know how much mileage is on everything now. The chains are getting sloppy. I know this will cost a fair bit. I was thinking of going to SKF bearings here in Edmonton and trying to get better bearings and chains (and hopefully cheaper) than what the Argo dealer sells.

Besides the obvious parts I will need for the damaged front axle are there any parts you would replace also like the flange assemblies or axle gaskets or outer bearing carriers?

I am very mechanically inclined and read what I can on the net as well as I have downloaded the parts manual and operators and service manual already.

Also, the tires have tubes in them and 1 tire is flat. Should I remove the tubes or is it okay to run tubes? I figured that low pressure tires could cause the tube to move in the tire and cause the valve stem to break.

Shayne

Hey Shayne,
    Before you cut the axle, you might try and just cut off the old bearings and check to see how much damage there is to it,axles are pricey.Also upgrading to the HD bearings will be your best bet with all new gaskets.Most of the time it's the outer bearings that fail,not so much on the inner.If the carrier isn't damaged, no need to replace them, just make sure the grease zirt is functioning.
    Also,this is a great time to replace all the chain,you can get better chain, but you can get all the chain precut from your dealer,and it will save alot of time.Guessing the tires are tubed for a reason,and the cheapest way to go,slime only goes so far, and you might have to replace the tire otherwise.

I also have a 2012 Avenger with Chanel tracks. The 2012 avengers should have the HD bearings already, just look at the the outer flange, the new HD style look different. When I priced out high end bulk chains through a generic supplier it was almost the same price as Argo's diamond chain that is already precut with the links. Double check where the movement is in your middle bearings all mine were bearing set screws loose or the bearing flanges are worn from when a bearing seized and the flange was not replaced. Do you have Track tuners? My tuners got some play after they broke in and I readjusted them. Hope this helps out!!

Yes I already have the HD axles and bearings. I have the track tuners so I will check them and see if they need adjusting. My main concern is that when I use it moose hunting, I could be 5 miles back in a swamp with no roads and that would be a bad place to break down! With this machine coming from a rental outfit, I have no idea on how the maintenance upkeep was. If I replace all the chains and bearings, at least I know what was done and when.

Cutting the inner bearing off the axle is going to be a real pain since it's the right front one but I do have the tools so maybe I'll give it a try this weekend

+ Reply to Thread