Tire wobble

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tire wobble

Tire wobble

A friend of mine was riding behind me and said my tires were wobbling and got worse at higher speeds. I had him drive it away from and back to me so I could watch and I can't tell if it's the tires being deflected due to the soft sidewall or if it's the rim wobbling, but almost all of them have wobble to some degree. Some worse than others.

Is this a normal trait for the stock 25" Argo tires or could I have a different, more serious problem? I checked the lugs and they are all tight. I only have about 60 hours on the Argo. I did pull a couple of heavy loads, but nothing that it grunted on. It didn't have a problem at all so I wouldn't think it would be enough to bend or warp a bearing housing. Any thoughts??? I hope it's normal....

To be clear...my definition of 'tire' is the rubber and 'rim' is what some call the wheel, but it's the metal the rubber tire is mounted on. Just to eliminate any confusion...

If you're running the stock Argo axles that utilized the two-piece welded wheel flanges, it's not all that hard to bend them, which can cause inward and outward "wobble" like you experience. I'm running them on a fairly heavy machine and have gotten some deflection in them over the years. You can check by lifting one side of the machine and taking off one of the wheels on that side that exhibits a little wobble and look to see if the axle itself is bent, or if it's just the wheel flange. It's pretty noticeable and doesn't take but a little bend to translate into a larger wobble over the radius of the tire.

Another point to consider, the tolerances on new Argo axles allow for some wobble from the factory. I upgraded all 8 of mine on my Avenger and they varied quite a bit between each axle when checking runout on a lathe. A couple were bad enough to translate to slight wobble in the wheel/tire when running. If it is just a slight wobble that you are experiencing, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Hi, If you are worried about tire wobble and want to check your axles, jack the Argo up off the ground so the tries are clear of the ground. Start the Argo the put it in gear and watch the tires and axles rotate. This may help you to see if you may have axle or tire or rim problems. Paul

Well, a couple things. First off, I am running the stock Argo tires/wheels. I don't know if they're the two piece you mentioned but probably so. Second, after I just insisted to y'all that the lug bolts were tight I went back just to make sure...and they weren't. They weren't hand threaded loose, but I got a full half turn on every one of them with a 4-way lug wrench. I snugged them comfortably tight since I didn't have the manual handy and didn't know off-hand what torque they are supposed to be tightened to. I will double check the torque and get it back to spec and also double check my air pressure. This may correct some of the problem. There may be two 'suspect' wheels that are warped/bent, but I ran it after I tightened them and watched over the side and they appeared to be better.

Thanks for the info though. If they are bent then it is what it is. I have a 3yr/2yr warranty so I'm all good!

Thanks,

cdover73

tire wobble

Quote Originally Posted by cdover73 View Post
    Well, a couple things. First off, I am running the stock Argo tires/wheels. I don't know if they're the two piece you mentioned but probably so. Second, after I just insisted to y'all that the lug bolts were tight I went back just to make sure...and they weren't. They weren't hand threaded loose, but I got a full half turn on every one of them with a 4-way lug wrench. I snugged them comfortably tight since I didn't have the manual handy and didn't know off-hand what torque they are supposed to be tightened to. I will double check the torque and get it back to spec and also double check my air pressure. This may correct some of the problem. There may be two 'suspect' wheels that are warped/bent, but I ran it after I tightened them and watched over the side and they appeared to be better.

Thanks for the info though. If they are bent then it is what it is. I have a 3yr/2yr warranty so I'm all good!

Thanks,

cdover73
    Cdover if you only have 60 hours on your machine and it's still under warranty, there is not much chance that you have the old, outdated, two piece welded axles.Argo have been using a heavier wheel mount plate on the end of their axle for a while now. The newer ones that you probably have,have a hole in the rim between the wheel nuts that let you stick a grease gun through to grease the new heavier duty single zerk axle bearing.(provided that the last guy to mount your wheel aligned the hole in the wheel with the hole in the axle plate) If you think that tightening your wheel nuts solved your problem,that's great. If you are still wondering if your rims are bent,you can jack your machine up and hold a pointer close to the rim while the wheels are turning. All of our tires wobble a little, no prob.

Yep, those are the ones I got...grease gun holes and all. It's a 2016 750hdi. I think tightening the lugs have helped a little. I will monitor it and see if it gets worse. Thanks for the info!

+ Reply to Thread