Macgyver thread

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Macgyver thread

Macgyver thread

hi all,
    thought it would be fun to start a thread on how did you fix your argo when it broke while riding and made it back .Everyone of us can certainly keep these MacGyver tricks in mind if breakage happens when out there and be standing around the argo and say
    '' THAT GUY DID THIS.....'' I am sure we will read interesting stories out here

well..... riding along a soft marsh with mudholes and POP! axle came out of place and chain came of sprocket right in a mudhole,yay right luckly had my tools with me so yea thats about it lol

Had a loud pop once while riding with my nephew. Thought it was a backfire and the engine kept running but had no power. It would carry both of us until it came to a hill and then it wouldn't make it up. I got out to see if that would help, no dice. I started to push it up the hill while he drove and gave it gas. I walked home he drove and I was confused as to what happened. All looked good with the motor till I took the spark plugs out. That loud pop was one of the plugs blowing up and the motor was running on one cylinder. Now I carry two extra brand new plugs under the seat. I carry a ratchet set standard and metric and tow straps for the most part.

Well no Macgyver ing here just a little piney power getrdone, this weekend the clutch on the Conquest with the new bushing was clearances a tad tight causing the clutch to stick open halfway loosing all power so I poorer some Coors on it and in a few feet, bam, fixed.
    This is a tried and true recipe that has released smoking hot bearings to go on another 10 miles and seated beads on stubborn tires.

I always carry a bunch of these.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

hahaha,
    well argo jim i believe we might be many to carry that magic potion in the back of the argo

I was out alone a fair distance from my truck and trailer when this happened on my 1996 Vanguard 6x6.

Left lateral broke off leaving me with right hand turns only.

A pair of Vise grips gave me a foot brake so I could hobble out to my truck.

Jeez that don't look half bad, cool idea imagine having two pedals for the controls lol

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian_Zuk View Post
    I was out alone a fair distance from my truck and trailer when this happened on my 1996 Vanguard 6x6.

Left lateral broke off leaving me with right hand turns only.

A pair of Vise grips gave me a foot brake so I could hobble out to my truck.

Same deal in my V2, a little more interesting when it's the throttle side.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.

As long as we are at it, here is Gil's answer to overly aggressive tires interfering with steering.

Posted by Shanna Griffin
    Here is Shanna trying to "fill" a tire.

Some years back, when we owned an Avenger, the righthand side primary chain broke off. The master link shredded itself to death dinging off the rotor (it was installed backwards).
    We were without a replacement, so I removed the masterlink from the left rear chain and used it, traveling home as a seven wheel drive eight-wheeler.
    Stand for the Flag. Kneel for the Cross.

+ Reply to Thread