How fast will it really go??

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How fast will it really go??

2016 700 HD Argo with 8.4 Admiral Hi Torque Trans,
    motor only has 24-26HP compared to the EFI
    -Max speed with tires at 2psi Speedo setting 19.0 with a max GPS speed of 24.5KPH or 15.2MPH
    -Max speed with 18" rubber tracks and tires at 5/7/7/6 psi and track tuners on middle drives, Speedo setting 24.1 GPS'd max at 27.3KPH or 17MPH on pavement

All, thanks for the help. I am very new to all of this and have not read entirely through the manua....so I need to do that first. I believe I inflated the tires to 7/5/5/6...which seems to be wrong. I am going to pull the tracks, measure the tires and make sure the pressures are correct. Can you tell me which way to install the tires after I measure them? One last question, what RPM are you guys seeing at full throttle and top speed. I believe I was around 3100 RPM. If I am low, maybe I need to check my throttle cable for slack/adjustment. I will also do a cal on the speedo.

Thanks again for all of the help!!!

AkBillyBow

I have a 2004 Conquest with 22" (yes 22") Chanel tracks on with track tuners on the middle four tires and I get around 11-12 mph on the flat hard pack snow trails. That is on my GPS. It has the low 3.3 tranny. 8-9 mph in high gear is too slow for your machine.

Quote Originally Posted by AkBillyBow View Post
    All, thanks for the help. I am very new to all of this and have not read entirely through the manua....so I need to do that first. I believe I inflated the tires to 7/5/5/6...which seems to be wrong. I am going to pull the tracks, measure the tires and make sure the pressures are correct. Can you tell me which way to install the tires after I measure them? One last question, what RPM are you guys seeing at full throttle and top speed. I believe I was around 3100 RPM. If I am low, maybe I need to check my throttle cable for slack/adjustment. I will also do a cal on the speedo.

AkBillyBow
    That RPM is fine, without a GPS reading anything you do is essentially wasting your time. The speedo's on the units are horribly inaccurate and you cannot use that as a base point. I can assure you that you are not doing that speed unless your clutching is way off or you are running 22" tires in place of the proper 25" tires.You can even get an app for your phone that is GPS correct. You don't have to buy an expensive GPS.

How fast-----

AkBillyBow
    Congratulations for going in the right direction to solving your problem. If you are only achieving 3100 RPMs at full throttle you will not be travelling full speed. Something close to 4000 rpm is normal and that 900 rpm will make a big difference in your top speed and you are on the right track about checking your throttle cable. Your question about "which way to install the tires' is best answered by the owners manual but basically the smallest tire on the front ,then the biggest,then second biggest and second smallest on the rear. Look forward to hearing how you make out.

Quote Originally Posted by philipatmaxfour View Post
    Congratulations for going in the right direction to solving your problem. If you are only achieving 3100 RPMs at full throttle you will not be travelling full speed. Something close to 4000 rpm is normal and that 900 rpm will make a big difference in your top speed and you are on the right track about checking your throttle cable. Your question about "which way to install the tires' is best answered by the owners manual but basically the smallest tire on the front ,then the biggest,then second biggest and second smallest on the rear. Look forward to hearing how you make out.
    Why am I achieving full speed with my machine at 3100 RPM and he is not then? Do not, and I repeat DO NOT increase the RPM of your machine before varifying with ARGO or at least Kohler or whoever the manufacturer of the type of your motor in your Argo approves. 900 rpm on a motor that does not rev that much is significant and can contribute to many other problems include catastrophic failure!

Thanks...I have the Kohler manual but haven't gotten to read it yet. I thought I read that there is a governor on the engines, so I was assuming it would not allow me to rev past a certain (dangerous) RPM. I was figuring if my RPM was low, I would look at the throttle cable for slack, yet the governor would be kind of a safety and not allow me into the danger zone. Am I thinking correctly on this?

Thanks!!

Thanks...I have the Kohler manual but haven't gotten to read it yet. I thought I read that there is a governor on the engines, so I was assuming it would not allow me to rev past a certain (dangerous) RPM. I was figuring if my RPM was low, I would look at the throttle cable for slack, yet the governor would be kind of a safety and not allow me into the danger zone. Am I thinking correctly on this?

Thanks!!
    Yes you are correct! You would have to modify or remove the governor to allow this and could cause potential damage. I looked at the service and owners manual online at the Kohler Engines website and it only specified an idle RPM but not the max or governor RPM to target. I have heard of issues and valve seizures from people modifying previous Argo motors from revving up, I would do this with extreme caution. Best to talk to Kohler direct, not even ODG. Kohler has likely pushed these engines to failure weather they would make a recommendation or not. You can also put a marker line with a sharpie on the primary and secondary clutches to see if you are getting full use on each of the clutches cycling to their limits or not as well.

Thanks Sparx. I am not going to modify anything engine related....especially with my limited knowledge of this machine. At most I will look for play in the throttle cable. I think after tuning the wheels/tracks and calibrating the speedo, I will probably be set. The clutches look good to me (coming form a snowmobile background), but I don't believe they have ever been pulled, cleaned and gone through. I do that every year with my sleds, and plan on doing that with the Argo also. I was going to ask if anyone modified the clutches from the factory set-up, but wanted to know the basics of this machine before I asked that question and entertained modifying my clutches. We do it all the time with the sleds, but I haven't ready anything about it here. There is probably more power to get out of those factory clutches....but I will wait a bit for that!!

Thanks for all of your help!!!

The wheels and tires issue is for chain wear, it will likely gain you very minimum in track speed other than robbed friction. That's where the track tuners come into play for the mid drives and relieve a lot of stress on the chains and sprockets. I had those on mine, and plan to get them again.
    You have to understand the reasoning between everything and the concept behind it to adapt it to your machine and the conditions you ride it in. The manual is a basic guidline. I removed my metal hinge extension on my track after a 20km breakin of the tracks stretching. I then leave the middle track tuner wheels air free. Then I air up the front and back tire 1 psi apart like factory recommended to tighten the tracks. This is normally 3-5psi for me depending if it's dry warm conditions like summer and fall, or winter conditions down to -40 and the tires start to slip in the tracks with the snow involved.
    Basically, especially on rubber and plastic tracks, run as little air as possible until the tracks then air back up for best ride comfort. If you hear the track slap the body on bumps tighten it up in 0.5psi increments until it goes away. This will provide you with the best ride and the best grip in the tracks.

I have just started tinkering with my clutches to make sure they are dialed in. I found the belt deflection loose, I tightened it up the most it would allow. The next thing was going to be playing with the secondary preload to make it respond better to my driving habits. It seemed a little slow to respond on the upshift to me so I was going to tighten up the secondary spring a notch or two.

+ Reply to Thread