How fast will it really go??

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How fast will it really go??

How fast will it really go??

All,

First off, I am new to the Argo world. I just purchased a 2012 8x8 Argo Hdi with the 750 efi engine. The machine has rubber tracks on it also. I read these machines will do about 20 mph, so I am assuming that is without the tracks. How fast should it go with tracks on normal level ground?

I can only go about 6-8 mph with the tracks on. Is this normal or not? Don't know if I need to look at something, like clutching.

I am sure I will have many more questions, as I am just learning about this machine.

Thanks for the help!!

AkBillyBow

B
    Last edited by Deedeelin1; 06-23-2017 at 02:52 PM.

What conditions are you driving in? My Chanel Tracks top out at 12.5mph in semi packed snow on the level. I have the 3.3 tranny, also the track are raised belt so they have a gear/speed reduction also.

Thanks for the replies!! I was just driving on gravel. I know there are a lot of factors, including driving surface, weight of the machine with extras, weight of cargo, etc. This was my first real drive in the Argo so I was expecting more speed than 6-8 mph. Also wondering if it seemed normal to all of you, or if I have an issue that I need to look for.

How do I determine what transmission is in mine? I am assuming there are markings somewhere that I can look for.

Shotgun, can you explain your comment about the tracks being a gear reduction?? I am not following you on that one.

Thanks again !!

AkBillyBow

Hummmmmm? My Argo Frontier 750 EFI 8x8 with a 3.3 transmission and Adair tracks tops out at 15 mph, 6-8 mph seems awful slow, do you have the machine in low range? It does have a two speed transmission you know. High range should get about 15 mph give or take.

Do some reading in the tire/track forum on raised belt style tracks, there is lots of info there. Or search it, has been covered very well and no use writing a big explanation that is there already.

Transmission ratio is stamped on top of case near fill cap. Most of those with low speed transmission (8.8) will run about 15 in high range.maybe 2 mph faster with his speed one. I can tell a difference driving them but top end is close. Check the actual speed with a gps. The display may be calibrated wrong or lost its memory. It's not hard to reset.

Thanks for the replies!! Yes, I was in high gear...low gear is really slow!! I will check it with a GPS....that is a valid point.

Thanks for the info!!

AkBillyBow

how fast

hello akbillybow- we can assume that since you said "rubber tracks" that your machine is equipped with Argo rubber tracks. If that is true,the owners manual has great detail on how to set up both the tire diameters and tire pressures. It is surprising how much difference there can be in measured circumference between two otherwise identical tires with the same pressure. For that reason it is necessary to measure and mount your tires in prescribed positions. If previous owners have not done this you can face the dreaded "chain windup" caused by some tires applying a braking action to larger diameter that that want to travel a greater distance on each rotation but are chained together to the smaller diameter wheels. If that is the case with your machine it will cause additional stress and breakage on your drive train. Rubber tracks have great traction between the track and the tires and are therefore most susceptible to this type of damage. Welcome to this forum and congratulations on getting a great machine.

I have some verified info in another thread based on the less powerful 700HD. The speedometers need to be calibrated either way with tires and tracks for truly GPS accurate speed. They are significantly off from the factory 2-3MPH easy. The larger diameter tracks fool the speedo in thinking it's going slower then it actually is so you have to change the number setting in the LED display...

+ Reply to Thread