Secondary clutch not back shifting under load?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Secondary clutch not back shifting under load?

[QUOTE=JohnF;203246]You said you have a new spring, cleaned, lubed; so probably not binding.[QUOTE]

Crap missed that line somehow.

I'm going to guess you didn't wind far enough when you put it back together 'cause I heard that can happen.

Certainly try hole 1 as your description is classic "not enough spring" in the secondary.
    Make sure your new spring is the right new spring.
    Right on there.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

I really appreciate you all trying to solve this one for me and I will try all your suggestions.

I'm not sure what size weights are in the primary...but I did clean the primary, and did the "Rockdoc mod" and it does engage at a higher rpm.(not sure if I like that yet)
    I am certain the secondary spring is the right one....but not 100% on the spring winding. The manual states" turning the movable
    face counter clockwise 120 degrees, or one cam notch past the first cam shoe" which I thought I was doing...but If I can wind it further I will try.
    The engine is a Vanguard 18 HP, 160 PSI comp on both cylinders & the new belt matches the number specified in the parts manual. ( I also tried my spare)
    I know running 22's will affect ratio, and I have them for running tracks but its a Bigfoot and I want it to be able to work with the 25's , it's so much better for ground pressure and clearance.

Thanks I will report back!!
    Last edited by snorth88; 08-17-2016 at 08:09 PM.

quick update:
    The clutch was wound correctly...I tried winding tighter but If you do it breaks the cam shoes off....
    The new spring may have been the wrong one so I put another one in from a spare clutch I got out of an older machine...its blue in color, just like my old spring. The new spring I put in was black in color but the dealer told me they changed the new springs replacement to black in color.
    I put the spring in the #1 hole this time.

Result: an Improvement for sure (better low end) but you still have to be careful not let rpms climb too high when going up hills, if that happens it will gear up and begin to slow down...the only way to get it to gear down is to backoff on the throttle considerably

Thanks

+ Reply to Thread