Throttle stuck open but cable moves

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Throttle stuck open but cable moves

Throttle stuck open but cable moves

Hi everyone!

I recently got myself into a 1999 response and I've begun my overhaul. IT runs well and the clock has been replaced so the guess is that someone rebuilt the 18 hp vanguard because of the get up and go !

I had to write this post because while i was giving every person not smiling a ride in the thing, The throttle got stuck open and I could not get it unstuck.

I choked out the motor while hanging onto the control arms with everything I had.

So my questions.

1. After I start it, Why does the motor now sound like it's full throttle when I am not throttling up. Currently my throttle linkage looks good and when i twist the handle I can see the cable moving all the springs and pulleys.

2. I am going to install a kill switch for the motor and I wonder if anyone has done this?

Thanks for your time and I promise I'll share pics when i begin the disassembly .

Remove the air cleaner and check that the linkage is still on the carb., some of them may have been held on by a plastic clip.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

I had something similar happen just after I bought my hdi. I was on my way out from my cabin to the truck. There is a road but when the freeze starts its next to impossible to drive a truck in with all the ice build up and deep water holes. I was 3/4 of the way to the truck riding along maybe 15km/h or so, I went to slow down to make a turn and when I let go the throttle the argo just kept on going. Lucky for me I had lots of room to work and I reached down and switched the key off.

I wasn't very impressed when this happened, don't know if there was 10 hours on the machine at the time. I went under the hood and worked all the linkages by hand and couldn't find any binding....everything seemed to work as it should. I got back in the machine and continued on my way. When I got back to the cabin I lubricated all the throttle linkages with a bit of fluid film (just my go to spray lubricant).

I now have 73 hours on my machine and have never had a problem since. It could really get a fella in trouble tho if it had happened in a tighter trail and the argo decided it wanted to drive up a tree!

I have wondered why argo does not install a handlebar kill switch. They can really save your neck. Have considered installing one myself, when I get around to it of course lol

We've had the throttle stick on the trails and it was an ungoverned engine. Crafty stick handling and kill switch to the rescue.

I should have added, or wrote first, remove the screws from the throttle cable and check for frays where the cable twists. Common.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

The key is a kill switch.

Has anyone wired up a kill switch to their machine? Not that it's my top priority but I still think of it time to time.....mostly when I'm given her some power to make a turn in a tight place. I wouldn't think it too difficult, just wire it in series with the "on" position of the key.

Quote Originally Posted by grease monkey View Post
    Has anyone wired up a kill switch to their machine? Not that it's my top priority but I still think of it time to time.....mostly when I'm given her some power to make a turn in a tight place. I wouldn't think it too difficult, just wire it in series with the "on" position of the key.
    I did that on my Max IV

The red switch is the kill switch. It has to be flipped up to be started and you can quickly slap it down to kill the motor. It has come in handy a couple of times but I have also hit it accidentally a couple of times as well.

I had the same problem on my 15 HDI. I ended up lubing the bolt that the throttle lever swivels on. It cured my problem. Brought right back down to normal idle RPMs

Quote Originally Posted by grease monkey View Post
    ... just wire it in series with the "on" position of the key.
    Depends on your ignition type. Some will kill better if you ground the magnetos.

+ Reply to Thread