kohler problems?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: kohler problems?

kohler problems?

my kohler 18 horse just got 790 hrs on her,im changing the oil and oil filter! what are some things or problems that occour to these engine around 800 hrs?
    i heard they need a new coil around this time or when they start to sputter but mine hasnt sputtered yet! is it easy to take the starter off and check the brushes and stuff or is a hard starter to get back together? btw i have the engine out if you never already known.

I had a 20 h.p kohler and just changed the oil and filter , no valve adjustment ever. their's no adjustment on the opposed engine.
    the only thing i ever replaced was a fuel pump.
    very well built engine

so no major farting aroud with the engine just starter,coil,oil the usual stuff?

just checked the brushes and they are good,i used a piece of sheet metal to hold them down while i put the starter in place and slid the plate out and bolted it on.if the brushes say were not in place or one was out of order would it be hard to spin the gear or not,the gear spins freely as it did when i took it off so are the brushes 100% good?

Looking at the method you used with the plate to hold the brushes while reinstalling the starter I would imagine they would have to stay in the correct place. To determine if the brushes are 100% good I would check to make sure there is no corrosion build up (or other dirt) on the contact portion of the brushes and the coper contacts of the rotor. Bit of electrical contact cleaner is your friend in these cases. Also brushes are a consumable part of an electrical motor (like friction disks are a consumable part of a manual clutch). Just look at the length of the brush. I wouldn't get to concerned trying to find a spec. measurement but instead get an idea of how much more the spring can push the brush out towards the rotor. They don't wear a big lot, especially since this motor is only turning a few seconds at a time and not overly frequently (in most cases). As long as you got a bit of movement, and the springs are holding the brushes firmly on the rotor's contacts i'd be happy enough.

Side note: If the brushes weren't making good contact with the rotor, be it loose connection because the brushes weren't long enough, or a damaged spring, or other form of dirt in the way; when the electricity flowed it is possible for it to arc across from the brush to the rotor which would leave a smoky residue. If this happens there is a good chance you won't get enough current to start the engine........just the ever annoying "click click click!"

how can i turn the motor over without a key switch and stuff like that. not to start the engine but to see if the starter works/

Just get 12 volts to the positive post on the starter by using a heavy gauge wire (or jumper cables) or if possible, just bridge the solenoid with a wrench or screwdriver. Expect some sparks...

+ Reply to Thread