Centaur Breaking Chains

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Centaur Breaking Chains

Centaur Breaking Chains

Hey guys
    got a argo centaur 8x8 haven some issues with my chains they keep breaking. is it do to over tight chains? or should i replace them all? they were super long and took 1.5 links out and they work good for a little while, then i put tracks on and now two chains snapped.
    thanks any help will be great
    Last edited by Mike; 09-24-2016 at 06:23 PM. Reason: moved post from introduction thread to a thread of its own

Welcome to the forum. I think you have a couple of things working against you. The first is that you don't want to remove links from a chain. Once you can no longer tighten them with the adjusters, it is time to replace them. By removing links, it can eventually damage your sprockets and you'll have to replace chain and sprockets. I think you should go ahead and replace all of the chain.

The second thing that you are experiencing may be chain windup from using tracks. There are a lot of detailed threads on this forum that you can read up on regarding chain windup both here in the Argo forum and in the track forum. Those should help get you going again.

I have a friend with a centaur and rubber tracks. Tires have been sized but he has trouble with chains and tensioners with the tracks installed. Not so on tires. I'm beginning to think we may have to split the tracks and run 4 sections. New chain is a must if you could remove links.

+ Reply to Thread