carb problem or what

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: carb problem or what

carb problem or what

Hi, I have a 2004 avenger. The argo runs with the choke on. I have to put choke and it will go for a short distance then I have to play with choke. Sometimes it want go at all. I wait about a minute and it will start. Go for a short distance then the same thing happens.
    At first I tought it was water in fuel so I emptied the gas tank ( took it out of the argo). It went for a short distance and same thing. I checked the fire on plugs and seems to be ok ( good blue fire). I tought it could be a coil and when warms up no good fire but it would run on one cylinder.
    I took the carb off and cleaned it, no change. I did not change the fuel filter since I didn't have the right size filter I seems to have durt in it. Could it be the problem? Could it be a carb ajustement? My argo is still in the bush and I have to go fix it there. I'm not a mechanic so any idea what I have to do.
    Thank you
    Jacquelin
    Jack

Change the fuel filter, and make sure there's no trash in the tank. Make sure you get good fuel flow to the pump. Things like fittings, shutoff valve, etc. can trap trash and clog up the line. If that doesn't fix it then move on to pump/carb issues.

The pumps seems ok since when I put the carb back I had the the floats on the wrong side and I could see the fuel go throu at full si I guess it was pumping the fuel ok
    Jack

are you saying that once the engine is warm it only has good spark in one cylinder?
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

At first that looked like that. after a while ( warm) it would start to make back fire and I stopped the engine and start after about a minute and would go for a while. The engine didn't have time to cool off. When I started it in the morning last weekend it didn't run right. I checked the fire and seems to be good. One plug had a bit of black stuff on it. I was playing with the choke and would go for a few minutes having to play with the choke all the time. somtimes it would go good for 5 minutes or so then start doing the same thing.
    I tought that if it would be a coil it should go on one cylinder. I did that one time a few years ago. It runed on one cylinder for over 30 minutes with the argo loaded. could it be another coil bad.
    Jack

what engine is it? does it have one coil or 2? id it has 2 coils, there is often a wire connecting them and a diode in that wire will go bad and kill spark to one coil.

pulling the choke limits air flow. if it runs better with partial choke that would indicate that it has a fuel delivery issue as you are reducing air to match the deminished fuel and getting the ratio close to right. that is assuming you don't have a spark issue
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

When you cleaned the carb. , did you remove the shut off solenoid and clean the port.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

my lawn tractor did the same thing a few years ago so I pulled the carb apart and cleaned it,but it made no difference.of all things the damn breather on the gas cap was plugged up.look at the simple things first.

Hi, I,m not a mechanic so what is the solonoide and the port. I learn with trial and error.
    Thank you
    Jack

Thank you, I'll try that also. The argo is in the bush and I need it for the weekend going bow hunting for moose.
    Thank you
    Jack

+ Reply to Thread