Speedometer very erratic

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Speedometer very erratic

But in Canada mode they do like 32.

Forgot to mention, check that the magnet has not come off the jackshaft.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Quote Originally Posted by wrench9 View Post
    There is a hall sensor on right hand side of machine that the speedo gets its signal from. Magnets are embedded in the shaft and the sensor reads the revolutions it is on the right side of machine just in front of your feet. The sensor could be going bad or a bearing on shaft could be going bad thus increasing clearance causing it to lose signal or it may need to be cleaned of grease or the gap adjusted between shaft and sensor. Try cleaning it first there are 2 nuts for clearance adjustment. Sometimes the cable coming out from the sensor gets brittle from the heat and cracks causing a bad or noisy signal which causes erratic readings in this case you will need to purchase a new pickup around 40.00 I believe. I have been through this several times on other machines it is not a big deal. The RPM and hours comes from the external alternator if it is equipped
    I understand what you're saying, but my machine is brand new. It has about 25 hours on it. Wouldn't it be way too early for this to be the case? However, could it be from me spraying open gear lube on the chain and it maybe getting on the pickup for the sensor? I could check that and clean it. Good feedback, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ARGOJIM View Post
    Look at your lcd and see if it is on MPH or KM, big difference , easy enough to unknowingly touch by yourself or a youngster.

It may be in Canada mode now.
    Canada mode, eh??? That must also be why it whines so much when you want it to do something.... (Guys look, I COULD NOT pass that up, but it's only a joke!! Please take it easy on me!! I love my neighbors to the north. I just hope Trump doesn't try to sell off Canada to Putin to settle our national deficit!)

But seriously, it is in MPH. The problem happens at higher speeds. It will be somewhat accurate up to about 12-15mph then it will start jumping to 35, 50, 94, 42, etc... I haven't paid attention to see if that makes the hours jump as well. It could be a major problem if they decide to go by hours on the machine when it comes to warranty stuff. But I think that is set for calendar time, so hopefully I will be okay.

A try at slightly opening the gap on the sensor may help if it is contacting the magnet slightly (only) at speed.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

+ Reply to Thread