Old Argo value?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Old Argo value?

Tremmor,
    I am a new AATV owner and I can assure you they are a blast. But, you need to fully evaluate what you are getting into, because that $700 for a set of tires could be the tip of the iceberg. You really need to see inside that machine because it looks like for the 10-15 years its been sitting it has been taking on water (unless its under a cover). If the tub is holding water you could have significant repairs/replacement with chains, sprockets, idlers, bearings, frame, and so on. I"m not trying to discourage you........just trying to give you a dose of reality.

There's nothing but help on this site, and it's kind of like Home Depot.....you can do it, we can help!

Yes...pass this around. I really need to find out what year it is if I can.

I've always loved amphibs....but new ones are too much $$ for this dad of 4. There's a chance he'll give it to me for a little help in his yard and helping him get his old truck running...that'd be ideal. I need to see what the costs of chains are and stuff. If its going to approach the cost of a newer one..then I'd definitely go that route. But I think to get accurate costs I need to find out what year this beast is

That looks pretty clean from what I can see. I personally would try to seat the beads on those tires and put some slime in them if they aren't too dry rotted, they look like they have plenty of tread. As long as you can get them to hold air so you can roll it around and take it for a test drive here and there while you get the Argo in order they'll work fine. That will save you a significant amount of coin up front that you may need for bearings, chains, belt, etc.. If your patient and scour Kijiji and forum ads, you'll be able to find a set of excellent used tires from someone who went bigger or wider for a fraction of the cost of new. You won't know what it needs until you start digging into it, you can get an idea of it condition by lifting the floor pans and visually inspecting the chains, sprockets and axles. If it all looks like rusty ass chances are you'll be spending a bit to get going. This isn't really a bad thing as almost everything that could need replacing should be replaced periodically during the normal course of operation and routine maintenance. I generally assume older machines need bearings and chains and would want to replace them anyway for piece of mind, if they turn out to be in good usable shape then it's a bonus. Be carful with your budget, it's easy to overspend when your getting your feet wet in a new hobby. I start with the motor, clutches, belt, tranny then if everything checks out I will move onto the sprockets, chains and bearings. By the time you get all that sorted out hopefully you've zeroed in on a set tires

Good luck and keep us posted.

Hi, I don't know if you have purchased the Argo or not but I would not pay much for it. I don't want to insult you but from what I see just in the pictures I would turn around and run away from that Argo as fast as you can and not look back.
    That Argo is a vast money pit. you don't know if the engine or the transmission is any good for starters. There could be water in the engine or the transmission. The Argo has been stored out doors an has been sort of covered over. I would guess by looking at the pictures it is full of water. The water will cause you to by all new chains because they will be seized up. You will need all new bearings, axles. and seals and sprockets. Because it most likely has water in it, the frame is most likely rotten. You will need new tires and rims. What I have said here is just the beginning for you. I you are looking to purchased a used Argo buy one that is 1990 an up. Sorry if I may have insulted you. Just trying to save money for you Good luck. Paul

2 questions: What is your time table for having a running argo and are you prepared to put ~2k or greater into it?

I ask this as I just finished going through a 1991 argo and the basic repairs (chains, idler shafts, brake discs, bearings, belt, battery, etc) was over 1500 USD. If I had needed tires or had to get into the engine/transmission I would have easily been over 3K.

It looks like a cool project to get into, but you could be buying a glorified bathtub if the frame is gone.

Mid seventys probably a Kohler 440 ams if you are super mechanically inclined and are not in a big hurry to ride it and can spend the time to research and locate parts on the cheap and have all kinds of time and need a project it would be a great machine for that purpose other than that what I can tell you about that vintage of Argo is the mechanical brakes are substandard and were barely up to the task for a six wheeler,the axles are a pinned style and the pins were prone to breakage,the 440 ams was a pretty fair motor in its day but heat issues plagued it and were some of the last motors if its original to be built in Canada parts are hit and miss,if it was givin to me and I was feeling nostalgic I might give it a go as I liked the two stroke days but if I was looking to build a machine up for a true purpose I would save up and buy a later model twin cylinder four stroke splined axles hydraulic brake machine you will end up closer to the price of one of these than you think to redoo that ole bird.JMO NCT

Well, we're still working on the year. Its an air cooled kohler 440, transmission has H/L/R, and its made of some plastic/fiber/composite that only lasted for 2 or 3 years. I'm picking it up next week and bringing it home for some love. I'm excited!

Quote Originally Posted by Tremmorkeep View Post
    Well, we're still working on the year. Its an air cooled kohler 440, transmission has H/L/R, and its made of some plastic/fiber/composite that only lasted for 2 or 3 years. I'm picking it up next week and bringing it home for some love. I'm excited!
    Call ODG customer service at 1-877-argoatv and give them the serial number off of the transmission, they should be able to get you all the info you need.

well, the kholer in it is a 70 (based on the serial). The owner says that the body is made out of something that they only used for a year or so...which makes this a very early 70's with an ABS body on it.

+ Reply to Thread