Old Argo value?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Old Argo value?

Yep Kohler 2T early seventy's for sure looks like a Walbro carb that is a tuners nightmare you will gain some experience there the engines worked well we had one in a early 6 wheeler and had a machinist bud of my dad make a elbow and dad mounted a Mukuni on it with a pulse pump worked great that engine was real smooth then good luck you got yourself a project with before pics cant wait for the after.NCT

you have one hell of a job on your hands.GOOD luck on the project man!

Hm, sounds encouraging owner lost the key..but first I need to get her cleaned out. The control sticks don't move at all....i'm going to pull the top off of it first and just clean it out. Figure I'll just replace all the seals and bearings for it. What are some good resources for parts (seals, bearings, chains, etc). for this old beast?

people say its cheaper to use many sources but just go with argo it all adds up around the same in the end.

Heckthe bearings/ chains are standard stuff any brg place farm equipment place its not specialty stuff,from the pics of the underhood area it appears quite stock for the most part for that era that's a good thing doesn't appear to be all cobbled up makes it easier to get a handle on things still a large undertaking but what the hay you appear to be wanting a winter project get it apart down to the frame as soon as you can establish the soundness of the transmission make sure that it has all ranges turning it by hand,the early years of that tranny had issues with the gears on the input shaft the one with the big clutch on they had more and thinner teeth on the main drive gear on that shaft and they would break teeth off in the later ones the lessened the amount of teeth and made each one thicker hence stronger we had one you had to upgrade to the newer shaft requiring another cluster gear change and then we had no further issue it was a earlier machine than yours but Iam unsure of what year the factory made the change its not the end of the world as that trans style stayed the same for years with no trouble but you had to update the weaker ones,other than that pretty much everything you are going to need can be sourced without a problem the motor as i stated earlier you are on your own to find parts there as its been so long since they were produced and the Argo company will have no parts for that any longer in the long run if the motor is pouched consider a 4 stroke repower it would be the best all around decision.Cheers NCT

Sweet, I'm excited to get her underway. I hope to get her home into the garage next week. Got to get a few things sorted out in the garage first. I've heard of bobcat upgrades...i'd like to get an alternator on there and run a 12v bilge pump (just in case)

So, its a 72...in case anyone is interested. Its thawing out in the garage now. I'm going to go through and check the chains. I'd bet real $ that the axle seals are shot so I need to find where I can get parts for the beast. I'm also looking into a different carb or maybe engine for it...

best bet is to get a new engine, but if that one works go for it but your seals are deffinatley gone bearings and possibly axles are bent and distorted. check out garnett M on youtube, he had a later modle with the tecumseh but same body just diff engine, he does a full rebuild. jack it up and tear into it!
    also a 72 holy cow thats like 5 years after argo was founded very nice if you could get it up and running and keep it stored for an antique,worth lots in 50 years!

The engine turns easy...the old kohler 440 used stainless sleeves I hear....she turns over easy. The dude lost the key so I'll have to get a new one or just wire in a toggle and a push button (which I might). I dont know about the axles...I hope they're not bent...it ran fine when he parked it there..but needed 'carb work' which I understand is an ongoing thing with these old things. I'm excited to tear into it. I'll post pix when I start. It's been sitting parked, under a tarp for the last decade....but should be fun.

+ Reply to Thread