Argo ID

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Argo ID

Argo ID

Hi All, New to the forum and just picked up an a ARGO 6x6 and trying to id !It came without an engine and primary clutch so trying to see what year? What Manuals? What Engine ? Looking forward to the project for this winter and trying to gather parts that I need ......
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by mucky View Post
    Hi All, New to the forum and just picked up an a ARGO 6x6 and trying to id !It came without an engine and primary clutch so trying to see what year? What Manuals? What Engine ? Looking forward to the project for this winter and trying to gather parts that I need ......
    Hi Mucky. There are a few real Argo experts on this site that will be able to tell you better than me but that is for sure a real old machine and I think could be one of the original two stroke models. Can you find a serial # anywhere?

I will be getting it off the trailer tonite and into the shop and take a look for the tag ....

Looks very much like my 76/77 Argo which came with a 440 ams Kohler two stroke the 3 bolt axle spools would be pinned on to one inch axles and the rims should have a steel tube on the backside that extends to the back of the mounting spools,if it had a Kohler two stroke it may have a air filter remote mounted in a fiberglass shell with a hose to go to a carb box but that may all be missing some pics under hood would help id the machine.Cheers NCT

Looks in the 74/75 era from the gas tank and stick locations,also has 3 bolt hubs. Looks like someone stuffed a vtwin in it from the upper body cut.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

I can find no tag ,and yes it has only 3 lugs on the wheel hubs.I'll be removing the frame in the next few weeks and I'll post some pics then.....Thanks for the info so far!!!! Great site!

Age could have three diameter axles, 7/8, 1, or 1-1/4.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

ArgoJim the old girls with the 7/8 axles if memory serves me the sprockets were welded to the axle as opposed to pinned on the one inch and early 11/4,the earliest Argo we ever had actually had the headlamps in the lower body and was powered by a axial fan downdraft tillotson carbed Kohler it as I remember was a 399 cc,and that machine had a trans issue although the same style as used in the later models the input shaft had one tooth more on its drive gear then they ended up with and was weak and prone to breakage we had to retro fit a later model input shaft and I believe high low cluster something like that but as I said the old grey matter is trying to remember some 45 yearsish ago.

+ Reply to Thread