Argo Beachlauncher

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Argo Beachlauncher

Argo Beachlauncher

Hello everyone.

I have a 8 X 8 Argo based, beach launch vehicle.

I know it's not what is normally discussed on this forum, but the entire drivetrain utilizes Argo components, so I would assume that common issues with Argo ATVs would apply to this machine.

I have been experiencing some transmission issues with this machine.

While traveling uphill, in either forward or reverse the transmission seems to slip, and at this time, there is a screeching type sound that seems to come from the transmission area. After the screech, the machine shakes, as though the transmission either slipped or something was binding it up and then released.

This slippage also occurs when the right-side brake is applied.

Because the machine is used to launch a boat, it always travels in a straight line, along the same pathway. I have determined that the slipping occurs at the same location on the pathway, leading me to believe it may be a chain or transmission issue.

I have been told by 3 different Argo mechanics that it could be a sprocket, a chain, a bearing, or possibly the transmission.

Does anyone have any knowledge of this machine, or can you provide any Argo related advice for my problem.

I have included some pics for reference.

Thanks in advance,
    Matt.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by ridgepatrol; 10-20-2016 at 02:44 PM.

screeching sounds along with "slipping" would normally be the drive belt from the motor to the transmission. Does this rig have a CVT on it?

Argo beach launcher

Ridgepatrol ,as in the previous reply all Argo machines have a cvt driven by a belt from the engine. Your pics are great for helping us to see what the machine is but if you could take pics of the parts that you feel may be the problem we could offer you our combined opinion. ie: sprockets-are the teeth chipped or missing or misaligned, chains: are they loose, dry,stretched,rusted, drive belt: wrong belt ?, worn too narrow,shredding, Trans,: oil level correct? ever been changed? Send some pics. we may get lucky. Good luck

Lift all the wheels off the ground and rotate them by hand. Listen and feel for any binding. Wiggle the wheels and check for bad bearings.
    You can also run the engine with the wheels off the ground and see what's going on with it.

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

I will get some pictures of the engine and transmission this weekend.

Yes it does have a CVT with a centrifugal clutch set up.

The engine is a B&S Vanguard 13HP, and the Argo transmission has a model number of 610-18G, which after checking the Argo website has been superseded by a new model 610-18GP.

The chain system is all contained within the tubing, which makes accessing it a real PITA.

The screeching sound is more metal on metal, as opposed to a belt slippage issue, and it seems to effect all four right side wheels independently of the left side wheels.

Thanks,
    Matt.

How does the chain get lubricated?
    How does water get in or out of the square tubing?

There are 5 access points along each side of the trailer frame. Each is about 12" X 8".

So, you can lubricate the chain and adjust the tensioners from there.

The trailer tubing is sealed with gaskets and marine type twist plugs to drain any water that gets in.

The tires are loaded to prevent the whole thing from floating.
    Last edited by ridgepatrol; 10-21-2016 at 06:38 PM.

A quick look at the trans to jackshaft tension could reveal a possible culprit, you want them to be just under taught with some deflection. If that is good keep moving outward starting with a physical look at the bearings if chains are good, if loose try to wiggle the jackshafts to check the bearing wear.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

2016-10-28_13-16-42_402.jpg2016-10-28_13-17-24_776.jpg2016-10-28_13-17-53_585.jpg2016-10-28_13-18-15_140.jpg2016-10-28_13-18-43_226.jpgOk, I got some pictures of the engine and transmission today.

I like the idea of working from the transmission outward, to look for problem bearings, sprockets, or chains.

I also like the idea, that it may be the belt, so I will be replacing that first, since I do not know the age, and it's the easiest and cheapest to fix.

Thanks,
    Matt.

+ Reply to Thread