new argo 6x6 frontier

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: new argo 6x6 frontier

new argo 6x6 frontier

I have been thinking about a new argo for a few years, this hunting season sealed it.. saw a few big bull moose, hiked in to them.. was no way to get the atv's into retrieve the meat so had to watch them walk away. Would have needed to go through some heavey willows and climb to very steep hills covered in willow... to steep for a 4x4 atv. Question is wouls a new 6x6 frontier or new 6x6 argo scout model outclimb an atv in that situation? I don't want to spend the extra $8,000 for the 8 wheeler. I would just use a 6x6 and pull a trailer. Some people have told me to by a 6x6 atv as it will outclimb the argo and be more reliable.... any advise for the reliability of ma new argo 6x6 and its rough terrain potential with and without tracks?

thanks

ok first of all 6 wheels spinning versus 4 sometimes 3 spinning is obviously going to get you further. Argos have a very low center of gravity meaning it can out climb an ATV without a doubt. yes an 8 wheeleer is even more stable but yes a 6 by 6 will do it and even with a trailer. with tracks it will do even better just get the right track. channel tracks etc...

are the newer argos reliable, as long as you grease the bearings and lube the chairs every ride? is there anything else that causes grief on them? We don't get much snow here maybe 2'-3' max, are the 14" adair tracks the best option for both mud and snow?

I think the reliability from Argo is top notch. I've been impressed with just how much abuse a new Argo can go through when properly maintained. The Adair tracks seem to get good reviews but so do the Argo, Chanel, Escargo, etc. Read through the track forum some and see what others have to say.

I had a 2002 6x6 conquest with Adair tracks and it was a great little rig and it would climb like goat. I pulled a meat wagon almost every where ( if it could talk it would cry ) there are a few pictures in the gallery, one with a wolf on the wagon. A 6x6 is a great little rig but it fills up quickly, try getting a frozen caribou out with a 2x4. You will have the machine for a long time and it will serve you as well as you take care of it. I sold mine to get into a house, not because it ever let me down. A year later I replaced it with a 2016 8x8 and happy as can be with all the room, a hole moose and lots of gear is no problem now.

I would post your location and see if any members are near to you, the only way to really know if a machine (no matter the brand or amount of wheels) will work in your intended environment is to try it in that environment.
    An 8x8 would be more stable, especially loaded, both up and back down what ever you are climbing and also offer more gear/game room. And don't forget 1,000 pounds pushing down a steep hill is hard to control.
    I'd look for hydraulic brakes and a twin cylinder engine.
    Unless you go with rubber tracks I fear all the other may have a slippage tendency on steep loose terrain, I'd try tires first.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

I have had a 6x6 (albeit a max) and then my 8x8 frontier. I appreciate the additional power and easy handling of the argo over the max. The max was a good bit smaller and had ZERO room for cargo from the factory. I added a lot of capacity with a rear rack and under seat box but it was still too tight. I use my cargo box on most every ride. Now, with all that said the 6x6 was faster and pretty darn nimble. Neither have let me down.
    2015 Argo frontier EFI Camo. 4000lb vortex winch with synthetic rope. 3.3 trans.

~1998 Max IV (SN 14428) on 26" TRU Power tires, winch with synthetic rope, rear seat moved back 5 inches, flip top rear seat with storage underneath, 55 lb thrust trolling motor, #24 marine Battery and a bilge pump just in case.-sold

Would definitely recommend an 8x8 for moose hunting. You can't fit much in a 6x6 compared to an 8x8. Just the tools and spare parts I take alone would fill a 6x6. But I suppose if you were set on a 6x6 the adair 14.5 tracks would be the way to go from what I hear on this forum/see on the tube. For my area I'd have to find a floating trailer, and then I'd be worried about the places I have to float it. I'm not sure I could pull a trailer floating through some of the floating bogs with open holes we go through. Plus if your trailer was loaded heavy on one side and listed enough to sink, it could bind at the hitch and twist pulling the whole works down with it and you'd be in one awful mess out in some place you can't walk out of.

We got this years moose 35km off the end of a dirt road over muskeg, through very steep ditches washed out from years of erosion, nasty swamps, floating bogs, beaver ponds. It was a 6 hour ride to the place we put our tent at the furthest point, where we finally found our moose.

Anyway the 8x8 carried a weeks worth of hunting and camping gear plus the moose right in the back/across the front. We came back out after only 2 days in that spot so were still pretty heavy. We were able to quarter the moose and get everything back out of there in one trip with no trailer. The extra 500 lbs from the moose in the back seemed to make the machine work better, as it leaned back in the soft stuff and climbed out of holes more easily. The steep climbs were a little scary, I had to abort and roll backwards to keep from going over backwards a couple of times. I have a pretty solid stomach for that kind of thing, but the machine was up on the 2 rear wheels. Would not want to try that with a shorter machine.

There was one hill in a different area this fall that became impassible for the 8x8 after a rain. Quads were climbing right up, but it was too slick for my machine. I had to use my 100' winch extension to winch the machine all the way up, since there was no other way back to civilization. Even the argo isn't perfect I suppose.

+ Reply to Thread