Idler Chain

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Idler Chain

Idler Chain

So while hunting, I noticed I had an issue with one of the idler chains. I had to do a bit of bush cleaning and fixing, but replaced them yesterday.. While replacing them I swapped out the original chains to the Tsubaki ones. When I went to reuse the original master link (with the cotter pins) it wouldn't line up for nothing... I mic'd them and the new ones are about 0.018" thicker, so I used a single 60 master link..
    Is there an issue with using a master link on these chains, or is there a specific reason for the cotter pin style master?
    It's on an '07 Avenger EFI...

Surprise to me Glen. I didn't have "cotter pin type" master links on my old 2007 Avenger bought new. I tried to use a cotter pin type 1/2 link once in the bush as an emergency fix but the pin broke easily around the cotter pin on those princess auto 1/2 links.I can't help but think that you will be happier without the cotter pins although some guys have trouble getting the spring clip on the other type

i agree the spring clips can be challenging but you just need a fine flat top and it will work easliy once you learn how it works.

After replacing all the chains this weekend, I've found 2 ways to remove the clips on them. Depending on the style of the clips, some will just push off with a little effort.. If they are the second style, they get bent, tossed and replaced... I can't remove them for the life of me.. The new chains are all a little thicker than the originals anyways, so the old masters wouldn't have worked...

I used to use a chain break tool to squeeze the master link together. It had a pin press the same diameter as the pins, and you could place that on the side plate, in between the top and bottom parts of the clip. Squeeze the link together to remove tension from the clip in it's grooves and they'd pop right out easily. That was with o-ring and x-ring chains though so not sure if it'd help with a standard chain, never tried it.

+ Reply to Thread