super glue?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: super glue?

super glue?

would super glue work for thread-locker on set screws?

I would purchase the correct thread locker instead of trying to use super glue. Most autoparts stores carry it and it is fairly inexpensive and intended for this purpose.

what about a little cold weld?

I would definitely not weld a set screw down, unless you know that it will never have to come apart again
    Just pick some blue locktite up.
    Meep Meep

Thread locker, either the blue or red formula, is the technique of choice, superglue is in my toolbox, just in case though as a temporary fix, and is also great for a cut that is too big for a bandage but needs something.

so the cold weld paste wont work,i will get threadlocker but curious about how strong it is

If you buy the green thread locker anything you put it on will NOT come loose period, Red and blue will also prevent any loosening of the hardware from happening, cant go wrong with any of the colors. We use green, red and blue in aviation and if it didn't work we would not use it on aircraft.

Larry

You're just trying to keep the sets from backing out on their own. While you tighten them, run it in,tighten it, loosen it, tighten it again, and do so a few more times to dimple the shaft. it takes a while lot of vibration at a higher frequency to back a tightened set screw out, so don't worry about how much hold it has. A little blue locktite will do you fine
    Meep Meep

Speaking as a Marine Engineer thread locker is the way to go, Loctite is the preferred brand in industry. Ships experience great amounts of vibration and we rely on thread locker to hold certain parts together. It is also formulated to do that specific job; don't be nervous about its runny appearance, it solidifies and bonds once the threads are tightened against each other and oxygen is cut off.

Just to clarify: Red is Permanent! you will need heat to remove after use. Green Is shaft builder, they claim will take up to .005" of play between surfaces( i would never trust it with that much clearance). Blue is removable strength and good for most applications. The Loctite brand also makes their products in a "glue stick" applicator. Make sure all surfaces are clean and dry for best results.

+ Reply to Thread