Winch problems just started...

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Winch problems just started...

Winch problems just started...

Ive never had a winch before, so i dont know what is wrong. The winch was working fine, then today i went to turn it on & it just goes "CLICK" , like when I hit the switch it makes a single click noise, which sounds like it's coming from the box that the power wires connect to.. Power and ground run from the battery to this box and then from this box 2 wires run to the winch.
    "I've yet to encounter a problem that cannot be solved with the right mixture of whiskey and weaponry"
    :ME....

" From my cold dead hands"
    :Charlton Heston...

Clean where your main power wires go to the battery. You have a bad connection most likely, if not the contactor is bad.

just check your winch solenoid(thats that box) unscrew the connections clean them up and put her together!

how old is the winch? what model? are you able to free spool the cable out?

Is it an older conquest? Mine does that every now and then, check the wires on the back of the winch switch. They have a habit of working lose sometimes.

he has a 93 magnum,look like the original winch

Yes i can free spool the cable out, not sure the make of the winch, any stickers on it fell off years ago and I painted it black, i tried cleaning up the connections on the winch because they looked dirty, that didn't do it so I guess I'll try the back of the switch and all the connections on the contactor next.. I don't know what else to do after that.
    "I've yet to encounter a problem that cannot be solved with the right mixture of whiskey and weaponry"

I'm going to assume your contactor is the black box style about the size of a stick of butter, which is nla.
    Do you have either direction?
    Check all connections starting with the fuse to feed the switch and then the switch for power feed and the individual outs, next check the contactor one will be live, one ground and the other two feeds to winch affected by switch for direction. If it is not something simple you may find it is time to update the contactor to a newer style.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

check your circuit breaker

Without having a tester, I'm pretty certain I'm getting power to the contactor because it's making a clicking noise in the contactor so I think it's safe to say power is going to the contactor & I need to find out if power is coming out of the contactor because if it is then it's probably The winch itself right ? Maybe the brushes or something?

Edit: ArgoJim- yes its the " stick of butter" shape, no it doesnt work in either direction, it just makes a click sound.
    Last edited by Kris W; 11-29-2016 at 10:30 AM.

+ Reply to Thread