What to Do? Repair or Give Up

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What to Do? Repair or Give Up

If you are crossing a lot of dead fall a metal crosser will work better for you. If your main usage is pure bog or peanut butter mud Adairs have the edge. I assume you are in the USA, look to the Canadian track guys if price is the driving factor, you get around 30% off with the dollar and they sometimes have a sale in late winter. Another option is to buy a little more modern AATV that does not carry the huge price tag of new. Happy Hunting!!!

If you feel comfortable with the reliability and performance of your machine after all your upgrades I would keep it and get either some adair or chanel tracks. These will outperform the supertracks by a wide margin especially in the swamp. If you do end up eventually upgrading to a newer machine both these tracks can be modified (lengthened or shortened) to fit that machine. I had supertracks and now run chanels and the durability and performance are not even close.

Thanks to everyone for their help. I am going to stick with this current machine and order new tracks as soon as the holidays are over. I do need some minor welding work done (new shelf for the battery and some reinforcements for the front frame to protect everything from damage when using the winch). I am looking for a rubber headlight bezel (rectangular) for this 1989 Magnum 8x8 if anyone has one.

Excited to finally have reached a decision.

Just a thought for you to consider, member deedeelin has a Set of Adair's for sale in NC that would fit if you have 22's and his machine is 2002 or older.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

I decided to keep my Argo and ordered new tracks from Rick's Relics (TruTrax) and I couldn't be happier with them, or the transaction. I can recommend them to anyone. I am sorting through some performance issues including a significant sluggishness when I need power at the low end to turn or climb. It works fine in reverse, slightly less than ok in low, and poorly under strain in high. I am thinking fuel related or carb related. I also need to weld in a new battery pan and upgrade the supports on the front frame to handle the winch without tearing the tub. Super excited to complete everything and hit the swamps.

Thanks for the great advice so far.

Greg

Hi your Argo is sluggish so keep in mind when you install tracks on your wheels your have added weight to the drive train. This extra weight will slow down an Argo. Rubber tracks are very heavy and this can cause loss of power. The drive train has to move the tracks you have to keep this in mind. Plastic tracks are not as bad.
    Hope this info is helpful. Paul

A comment about tracks.

We have been hunting the salt marshes and flooded pine forests of Southern Dorchester County in Maryland for almost 5 decades. Our first experience with amphibious vehicles was an Amphicat in the early 70's with just tires. We started using Argo's with Argo plastic tracks in the 80's. These tracks, either regular width or super tracks have been perfect for our area, which I would rank as pretty tough conditions of deadfall, pudding mud, 4-6' water crossings, rutted trails with stumps and humps, etc. There is a lot of chatter on here about the plastic tracks vs rubber tracks. For our purposes, the plastic tracks are spot on. I have no experience with the rubber tracks, nor have I ever seen them deployed and used in our area, so I cannot comment on how they do, but the plastic tracks do everything we need them to do and more.

This isn't a sluggishness issue, it is a loss of power to the point of near stalling when putting the Argo under load (turning from a stop, etc.)

[QUOTE=ARGOJIM;207958]Just a thought for you to consider, member deedeelin has a Set of Adair's for sale in NC that would fit if you have 22's and his machine is 2002 or older.[/ Epic Fail wrong thread
    Last edited by North Country Tough; 01-21-2017 at 11:14 AM.

+ Reply to Thread