What to Do? Repair or Give Up

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What to Do? Repair or Give Up

What to Do? Repair or Give Up

I recently purchased a 1989 Magnum 8x8. Vehicle has new 22hp Kawasaki engine, new chains, gears, and tensioners, new clutch assembly, new tires and rims, and some other new parts (gauges, etc.) I replaced the battery and installed a new 5K winch just in time for opening weekend of deer season. We hunt in the salt marshes/swampy forests of South Dorchester County, Md. The terrain is pretty rough, The trails are often under water and cut through forest filled with dead fall, ruts, and humps.

On the first trip out, my super track on one side broke. It wasn't the rod that broke, it was the "hinged channels"??? that the rod slips through to link the segments that split, allowing the segments to come apart with the pin still through one of the segments. I had a spare segment and swapped it out. In the process, found another that was tearing and swapped it out with my last spare segment. The next day, a segment on the other track split.

Tracks are a required accessory for our terrain. My dilemma is this: Do I:

1) bite the bullet, order new tracks, and keep this machine (throwing a hunk of change into it), or
    2) sell the unit without tracks (taking a financial hit), cut my losses, and try and purchase a brand new machine - not really an affordable option.

Because of health concerns, my hunting is severely limited without access to an argo.

I'd love to get some thought or comments from some seasoned Argo owners who may have been down this road themselves

Go with option #3, get a set of Adair tracks. They will shame the super tracks.

It seems the thing to do is figure out why your tracks are tearing up. How old are the tracks? I don't have experience with tracks but I think the conversation on this site will lead to questions of track tension, tire type, chain windup, etc. Perhaps you can elaborate on these topics.

These tracks have more than likely been UV damaged by being left outside during off season (summer) I had two sets of these in the past with no issues but have seen that situation on a friends machine that left them lay out behind the shed when not in use he replaced a few segments before giving up and replacing his tracks completely, your decision has to be a financial position decision buying a used set of anything is a risk putting more money in a older machine is a option if choking down the large investment of new is out certainly the purchase of a new track system is the least costly I believe you are beating your head against the wall to continue on with the tracks you currently have,there are options out there in the track world and plenty of info on this site from people that run tracks year round to the occasional user more than enough information for you to make a choice.Cheers NCT

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Woods View Post
    Go with option #3, get a set of Adair tracks. They will shame the super tracks.
    YES, if you can afford new tracks,the best option for the needs you mention is Adair tracks. Rubber tracks are for snow and the Adairs are known to be the best in mud and they swim.

If the hinge knuckles are worn flat to with in 1/8" of the pin the tracks are at the end of there life and will continue to beak at the most inopertune times. My suggestion is a set of adairs that could be added to if you ever wanted to install on a newer one with the 10" wide tires.

there are some other discussions and such regarding the chanel tracks. also seem to be great tracks at a very good price. johnboy

ask people who have argos where you live what works for them. And, ask them whether or not they have tried all the different types and about the conditions they drive in.
    Different track styles could potentiallly help or hurt you, and $$ cost is a huge factor. In the end you just want them to work and not cause you problems. Or you'll be pissed.
    That's the advice I give people in Alaska.
    Regarding your machine, just know that you can always use a set of tracks you have now (for 10" wide tires) on a different machine (even much newer) if it also has 10" tires.
    Some tracks are easier than others to adjust or modify for varying levels of performance

I'm usually nicer than this, but...argo plastic tracks are horrible tracks in most every way. No offense to anyone

I don't disagree with the position Buzz has taken not many on this site have had the experience with so many different designs and uses for me they are only for snow as I have near zero requirement for them at any other time and will chime in this I currently have the Argo rubber track system and although absolutely luv them for snow use they are tough on the drive system and the older the drive/axle style Argo the harder they would be it is a art form to keep tire sizes and diameters correct in varying weather throughout the winter to minimize drive-train issues and doubt that they would be the cats meow in deep bog as there is nowhere for the mud to go other than out the sides for snow they have been great not slippery on side hills no complaints there something where other styles appear to look like skates but for the costs and my degree of use its not feasible to buy two or three different tracks to try not unlike most people so sort thru the posts the truth is out there pick the ones with the guys that have tried a wide variety in different environments and the one that closely mirrors your own.NCT

As others have stated plastic tracks are ok for going on snow alone, but in bog, swamped out trails, water + snow etc you want adair or some other kind of channel track. They do it all. I have Argo plastic tracks right now but If I had the money, Adair is what I would buy. I'd leave them on all the time and never have to buy tires either... LOL
    "I've yet to encounter a problem that cannot be solved with the right mixture of whiskey and weaponry"
    :ME....

" From my cold dead hands"
    :Charlton Heston...

+ Reply to Thread