Chain stretch

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Chain stretch

Hi, Here is a little info about stretched front chains. I used to own a 97 conquest and I had to replace all the vehicle chains. When I checked the front left chain it had stretched so much that it was lying on the floor of the Argo and it wore a hole through the floor to the skid plate. So this is what can happen to the front chains. So you need to keep an eye on the chains. I would suggest all Argos should have a metal plate installed on the floor to protect it from possible chain rub. Hope this info helps. Paul
    Last edited by ve1sar; 12-04-2016 at 09:18 PM.

Spend the money and buy decent replacement chains.. And as stated don't modify the length of the chains... Even by half a link... I changed out the remaining original chains on my machine this fall.. I've got 170 hours on it, and noticed a bad link on an idler chain.. So instead of doing those 2, I opted for all.. Not sure what the replacement interval will be on the new ones, but the manual does say to remove, clean and lube them all every 100 hours.. I'm assuming at that time, an inspection to confirm that excessive stretch hasn't occurred would be done at the same time.. Wish I was thinking and I would have measured the new ones and marked a board to keep as a "new reference".. But I suppose if you compared 10-15 links new vs old, you'd know right away...

any chance that one stretched front chain could be a cheaper grade ? maybe they ran short of the quality and had that handy. just a thought. maybe replace it with a quality chain and if it stretches again at least you know it's not the chain. johnboy va.

That all makes sense. So does anyone have a good source for quality chains? Vendor info? I am new to the Argo world and haven't had to go through this before so bear with me. Thanks!

I see there are a few options for chain material. Standard, stainless, corrosion resistant, Japanese, etc... Is there a preference for material? And does anyone know offhand roughly how many feet of chain is needed to make a full replacement set for all axles? Thanks in advance.

I bought mine at Napa in town...

chain stretch

Quote Originally Posted by cdover73 View Post
    That is weird

The tire size has me curious now. I will have to re-measure this weekend to see if I have a similar situation.
    Did you find a significant difference in tire circumference?

Not much difference in tire size. I do have one that is about 3/4" smaller than the rest but it's the Left #3. I don't think that's enough to worry about.

I did notice the #1 drive sprocket is able to move back and forth on the shaft on both the left and right side. I assume this is the way it is supposed to be to allow the sprocket to self-align on the shaft? There is a drilled hole in the sprocket, but I don't know if it's for a grease fitting or a set screw. Regardless, nothing is in the hole. If it is trying to pull from a side load that could possibly be causing stretch. idk...

Can anyone answer how many feet of total chain is needed to replace a full set? I can order both sizes but need to know how much to order. I would prefer buying in bulk on a roll and get the link tool to do all the chains myself.

Good news that tire circumferences are so close. You don't mention tracks but that tire would want to be on the front with rubber tracks. Bad news that an axle set screw is missing. it needs to be replaced with red Locktite. I hope that an Argo professional will chime in to assure you that the missing set screw is not normal and make chain recommendations. Good luck .

No tracks. So, there IS supposed a set screw in those holes? Both front sprockets are the same. Nothing in the holes and the sprockets can move back and forth on the shafts. I figured this was to let them self-center adjust, but if they are supposed to be there then maybe that's my problem...???

+ Reply to Thread